2006 300xcw

Is an 06 300 worth looking at? I'm curious what really is different from the current models besides kick only. A friend of mine is selling his bike. He definitely takes care of his stuff. He bought a brand new 300 and will probably let this one go for around 2k. What is your opinion? 

Its worth looking at. It might be worth as much as that if it is really clean, fresh tires, gears, chain, etc. never been raced, or has had recent work. Suspensions have gotten better in the 11 years or so, but the basic 300 XCW engine was a very stable and reliable design. Early e-Start has a reputation for not being all that great, so being kick-only is not a big downfall.

You should ride it before you decide.

I bought an 07 for 2700....had 40 hrs on it. Handlebars were in a laid back, funky position and suspension was set up for someone heavier than me when I test rode it. Now it's mine and fits me perfect after spending some time (and $) on it. Go for it if it's in good shape.

Went and looked at the bike today. He brought it down from Tahoe. Its jetted for altitude. But otherwise looks good. Chain was a little tight but that can be dealt with. Has a good chain and sprockets. Newer Maxxis tires. Not sure which. Definitely not desert IT's. They were softer. Ran her up and down a lot. Once cleared she pulled the nose up 1-3. Only got her into 3rd. Anyway the clutch felt awesome. I'd never ridden a KTM before. While this barely counts, pounding asphalt for seconds I did get a feel for the nimbleness of this 300. Something my 450 does not have. Power is there. But absolutely not like my 450. My X when opened up is scary. This 300 felt more controlled. 

He wants $2500 for her. But I think I'll offer $2200 since the jetting is definitely a little off. Compression while not checked does feel great with the kicker. She has v force reeds, brand new rad guards that need mounting, as well as the stock rear spring. Suspension does feel a little softer then what I'm used to but it was set up for a guy 25lbs lighter than me and for tight trails only, definitely not track or fast stuff. I can work with this thing. He told me he hasn't ridden or started her in a while and she fired after 3 kicks with the chock on and few seconds later idled really low, nice with the choke off. 

you'll be hard pressed to find another deal like that man...

300s get snapped up almost instantly especially if their anywhere near reasonably priced...

my feelings are

you will not be sorry getting a KTM 300,,, perfect size motor...

2 hours ago, THUMPERRRR said:

you'll be hard pressed to find another deal like that man...

300s get snapped up almost instantly especially if their anywhere near reasonably priced...

my feelings are

you will not be sorry getting a KTM 300,,, perfect size motor...

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pick the bike up. I'll need to get the springs and the jetting corrected. Don't mind the easy stuff. 

What do you guys think of the current 250 xc-w compared to the new 300? I'm about to get a job promotion that would definitely enable some funds to really move for a new toy. Even wife approved should this all work out. New bikes aiming at the new 300, 250 and maybe look at the Beta. 

19 hours ago, Gottadog said:

Is an 06 300 worth looking at? I'm curious what really is different from the current models besides kick only. A friend of mine is selling his bike. He definitely takes care of his stuff. He bought a brand new 300 and will probably let this one go for around 2k. What is your opinion? 

I had an 06 framed frankenbike and I REALLY liked it.  At 2k that is a great price provided it checks out.  My bud has an 07 (same thing really) and paid 2700 for it a few years back and has ridden the ever lovin crap out of it.  It's an anvil.

54 minutes ago, Gottadog said:

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pick the bike up. I'll need to get the springs and the jetting corrected. Don't mind the easy stuff. 

What do you guys think of the current 250 xc-w compared to the new 300? I'm about to get a job promotion that would definitely enable some funds to really move for a new toy. Even wife approved should this all work out. New bikes aiming at the new 300, 250 and maybe look at the Beta.  

If you have the cheese go new or newer.  I have a 16 250w.  Love the darn thing.  The 17 W's I hear from those in the know say that the suspension isnt as good as the stock 16 models.  I dont know, but I do know that my suspension is GREAT and I havent touched a thing except spring rates.  My fox shock made it even better.

E-start is what most talk about but I could care less.  For ME the best things about the newer models with a battery is putting on a fan.  If you ride stuff that gets the bike hot there is no better upgrade then the fan.

Hope it works out with the new job, if not there is nothing wrong with an 06.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sycamore said:

If you have the cheese go new or newer.  I have a 16 250w.  Love the darn thing.  The 17 W's I hear from those in the know say that the suspension isnt as good as the stock 16 models.  I dont know, but I do know that my suspension is GREAT and I havent touched a thing except spring rates.  My fox shock made it even better.

E-start is what most talk about but I could care less.  For ME the best things about the newer models with a battery is putting on a fan.  If you ride stuff that gets the bike hot there is no better upgrade then the fan.

Hope it works out with the new job, if not there is nothing wrong with an 06.

Well he offered me the bike at 2300 today. Just about to pull the fish hook out of my mouth. End of day I'll have an orange next to the red. 

• Like 1

I think the 2-stroke is the superior woods bike for NorCal. My 450 has sat for 2 years since I got the 250xcw. 

I don't think you mentioned the hours on the bike.. I would plan on putting in a fresh piston if there are over 200 hours on the current one. 

There's an 06 in the Sac CL now with only 30 hours on it. Looks new, but doubt you could get it for 2300.

And.. as stated the 2012+ 2Ts are amazing. New frame design and the E-start is worth it when stalled on a hill. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DrKayak said:

I think the 2-stroke is the superior woods bike for NorCal. My 450 has sat for 2 years since I got the 250xcw. 

I rode my 450 for the first year of ownership and after that it just sat there collecting dust while I rode my yz and now my ktm 250xcw.  I loved the 450 but it just wasnt as much fun for ME as the 2s.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DrKayak said:

I don't think you mentioned the hours on the bike.. I would plan on putting in a fresh piston if there are over 200 hours on the current one. 

There's an 06 in the Sac CL now with only 30 hours on it. Looks new, but doubt you could get it for 2300.

And.. as stated the 2012+ 2Ts are amazing. New frame design and the E-start is worth it when stalled on a hill. 

I saw that bike on CL. I love E start. I still remember how awful it was sometimes having to kick a bike on the side of a hill where there was no place to put my left foot. Kicking with my left foot. Stuff like that if I was lucky. 

I was just looking online for a piston and gasket. Pleased to see how cheap they are! I'll have that done soon. 

Brought her home guys. 

Would any of you recommend a JD kit, or would you piece it? I know with my 4 strokes the JD kit was great. I'm at sea level. Ride mostly around it. Sometimes up to Stonyford or Georgetown/Foresthill area. So far doing some searching looks like a 168 main and a 38 pilot. Well get me close anyway. 

Congrats on the new ride!  I love my 06' and have put over 500 hours on it since buying it in 12'.

Not sure on the jetting, I ride from 9-12Kft so went the smart carb route.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gottadog said:

Brought her home guys. 

Would any of you recommend a JD kit, or would you piece it? I know with my 4 strokes the JD kit was great. I'm at sea level. Ride mostly around it. Sometimes up to Stonyford or Georgetown/Foresthill area. So far doing some searching looks like a 168 main and a 38 pilot. Well get me close anyway. 

Jd posts up a ton of useful stuff on another forum, and seems to be a positive force in the sport. If you want clear instructions and simplicity, buy his kit. 

If you like to experiment, try the Suzuki needles instead. Oem 2008 RM250 needles are like 11 bucks on Motosport. Start with NECJ.

I used the JD jet kit in my 07 300 xc and 16 300 xc. The kit works great for a lazy guy like me that doesn't want to mess around with jetting.

+1 on the Suzuki needles. Very clean off-idle response for slow technical trails..  Here's my jetting table for georgetown- 

NEDK #2  165 main, 38 pilot @ 4,000ft 80*-85* Summer

NECK #3  168 main, 38 pilot @4,000ft 50*-60*   Fall/Spring (+1/2 clip from summer)

NECJ #3  170 main, 38 pilot @4,000ft 45*-55*  Winter (+1/2 clip and richer starting diameter)

I find it easier to change the needle than the jets, lately I have been leaving in the 168 main all year and just changing the needle for summer. Well worth the trouble to get a cleaner response when summer temps get hot. Trails usually close for winter before I ever need winter jetting. 

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, DrKayak said:

+1 on the Suzuki needles. Very clean off-idle response for slow technical trails..  Here's my jetting table for georgetown- 

NEDK #2  165 main, 38 pilot @ 4,000ft 80*-85* Summer

NECK #3  168 main, 38 pilot @4,000ft 50*-60*   Fall/Spring (+1/2 clip from summer)

NECJ #3  170 main, 38 pilot @4,000ft 45*-55*  Winter (+1/2 clip and richer starting diameter)

I find it easier to change the needle than the jets, lately I have been leaving in the 168 main all year and just changing the needle for summer. Well worth the trouble to get a cleaner response when summer temps get hot. Trails usually close for winter before I ever need winter jetting. 

Perfect! I do like the JD kit but you are close to what I anticipate. Do you know what year and bike the NECK needle is out of?