2010 CRF250R Cloudy Oil

Hi all,

I have a 2010 CRF250R with about 25 hrs on the motor.  I changed oil last September, engine oil and tranny oil (synthetic 10w40).  Its been run for about 2 hrs since that oil change.  For spring, I decided to check oil on both sides.  Tranny side was crystal clear and all good.  Engine side was good, but seems a bit cloudy.  I am wondering if this is the beginning of milkyness, or just wear.  I have never run synthetic in a bike before this one so I am not sure about its wear properties and whether this is normal or a sign of trouble to come.  No coolant or oil from weep hole on water pump side.  Radiators seem to be holding level.  I attached a photo of some of the oil I dripped onto a screwdriver.

IMG_0700.JPG

I'd check the condition of the water pump shaft/gear. If it's worn and grooved, coolant will leak past the seals, and into the oil.

Thanks for the replies. I took the oil with me to two shops and both said it's fuel in the oil (common on 2010s), that as long as I change oil when I should, it shouldn't be a problem. Not sure how it got olive green from fuel intrusion.  

I am taking it to dealer tomorrow for a coolant pressure test and an engine leak down test to make sure there aren't any problems. Then I'll be convinced it's fuel intrusion.

I haven't heard the gas in oil issue on the 2010's but I have a 05 and know the bikes changed in 2010 so don't fall 10 and newer topics much but If it was gas getting into the engine oil,the oil would smell like gas? Personally not something I would want happening regardless of how often I change my oil.

If it was coolant, you could look to see if the rad coolant is lower than usual and might be a head gasket?

To the OP - Out of interest,

Are you running a hour meter?

What are you using for engine oil?

Edited by filterx

Filter, I am running Honda 10 W 40 synthetic oil on both sides. No hour meter. Low 20s in hrs of run time I would guess.  I have never in my life seen oil look like opaque olive oil. Coolant level hasn't changed. Put 730ml oil in, got 730 out on oil change.

supposedly the fuel comes from injectors retaining a little pressure after turning engine off.

both dealers said oil smells very strong of gas.

Edited by Rob Reffner

Looks like fresh fuel and not unburned fuel.   I think I would change it more often though.

2 minutes ago, Rob Reffner said:

Yes. The opaque green has me puzzled but dealers weren't alarmed by it.

Well if is fuel and a common issue at least you know BUT as I said not something I would want happening and maybe there is a fix but you'll have to do your research on that one.

Personally I run an hour meter and have a log book that I log all my ride hours, oil changes, maintenance etc. Before every ride, I normally check my oil firstly for level, then a look at the colour. If it was me and it was gas getting into my oil, I would also take a smell :) I usually change both engine/tranny oils and oil filter MAX 10 hrs or if the engine oil starts looking dark or if I've done a long hard (say 4 hr engine ride) I'll do both sooner. As well I only ride my R on mostly technical/flowy single track .

Another thing is your bike has basically been sitting for 6 months and at least on my carbed bike, if I let it sit that long, would have added stabilizer in the gas, then I would have turned off the petcock and run the carb dry. Basically if there is issue with EFI leaking gas into the oil, it might we way more noticeable with the bike sitting for 6 months rather than when your riding more regularly.

As well and if it was me AND if its not a bigger issue with gas getting into the oil, I would spend a of $$ and put in a new oil filter and oil. I'd run the bike for until it warmed up, then do another oil/filter change to make sure I got all the contaminated oil out (yes I'm anal but IMO these are high performance motors)

Hope that makes sense and at least you made the effort to get the bike prepped after sitting and IMO caught something that could have been $$$$ if the engine oil failed and you blew the motor.

Good info. I wasn't intending to change the oil, only checking the level but noticed the color. Only a few hours since I changed it.

hopefully the leak down test is negative and it's just something I have to live with (def a known issue on 2010s). I ha e no problem changing oil often. Knowing the state of that oil, I will be doing a filter change as you suggested. 

I did start it up several times over winter and let it idle to warm up. Maybe that assisted in the gas in oil. I did use stabil when I put it away for the winter.

i don't have an hour meter but I do as you do and log my hours at the track.  Oil had a very strong gas odor to it (mechanic said 'wow don't light a match!" When he opened the jar).  I just never heard of it turning oil that color. 

At any rate, I will let you all know the results of the leak down test. It has fresh oil in it for now, will change that again and filter when I get it back from Honda shop.

• Like 1

Re reading this post made me think of something. 

Test your fuel injector! I had a 00 jeep cherokee sport that was getting gas in the oil. 2 of my injectors were on their way out the door, and we're leaking gas into the cylinder. 

• Like 1

To the OP,

I was thinking about this a bit more last night and took at look at the the OEM microfiche at the 2010 tank today and man it looks way more complicated that my older carb bike.

hj0110017019.gif

Firstly I don't see a petcock with the fuel filter. On my bike and as I mentioned, if I was going to let the bike sit for and extended period of time, I would just turn off the petcock then run the bike until the carb was dry. As long as the petcock was not leaking, then gas would get into the carb or overflow in the the engine. About every year or 2 I will drain the tank completely, pull the petcock/fuel filter. I'll then look at the fuel filter and clean or replace as needed. If there is a lot of dirt on the fuel filter, I'll wash out the tank with water, let dry completely, then  do a rinse with a bit of fresh gas, reassemble etc.

So with a newer bike with EFI and no petcock/fuel  that I can see and unless I'm missing something.

Check to see that there is not dirt in your gas can you use to fill the bike. If so, clean it out or replace

Then I would add a Golan low micron in-line fuel filter and I would think of adding an in-line fuel cut off valve somewhere in #21. Basically you are firstly trying to prevent any dirt getting into the tank from the gas can and into the injectors. The Golan  fuel filter will help then you can shut off the gas when sitting with an in-line cut off valve. Worst case completely draining the tank then run the bike dry before storing for extend period of times but having a in-line fuel cut off valve should work for short times.

http://www.golanproducts.com/index.html

Just my 2 cents and might help you or someone else :)

Filter,

coolant pressure test and leak down test both came back fine. Def fuel in oil.

they said the bike isn't idling right when fast idle is off so they are checking the injectors, and they actually reccommended putting an in line 'petcock' on. 

• Like 1