Longer kickstand needed - XR250

I have a 2004 XR250 that I put a CRF450 front fork on. With that on it has raised the bike significantly (which I like). The stock kick stand has a slight bend in it too which worsens how far over the bike leans. It's so far over that I won't park it around town due to fear of it getting tipped over. I've considered doing a hack job of cutting and welding an extension in, but would prefer it look oem and nice. 

Would a kick stand off an XR650 fit my bike? Anybody else cured this taller bike conversion somehow? Thanks all!

2 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

Try an XR 400

Is this a suggestion only or do you have knowledge that it fits and is longer? I don't want to spend money ordering one as a guess. 

Yes it fits, it is longer as well.
But you don't have to take my word on it, measure one.

47 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

Yes it fits, it is longer as well.
But you don't have to take my word on it, measure one.

Sweet! Thanks for the direction. I was thinking a 400 would fit since they are nearly the same machine, but figured it was likely the same length. That's why I was jumping to a 650cc in thoughts. I'm hoping to gain 1.5" to 2" extra. Now I need to find a way to get one measured. 

9 minutes ago, Tryingoutdirt said:

XR400 kick stand from center of hole to bottom of pad 15 inches exactly 

Hey thanks for measuring that. I just measured mine and it's about 14.25" center to bottom of pad. That would only gain me 3/4" maybe a tad more since mine is bowed. Not sure that will be enough. I've been sliding a 2x4 under it in my garage which raises 1.5". 

I've got an older xr250 (1981) and the kick stand on it appeared way too short, too.  After looking at the lug that is welded to the frame, I figured something was bent.  So, I kicked the kick stand inward, and the change in angle made it just right.  So, you might examine your mounting lug to see if it's been bent a little.  Doesn't seem to take much. 

Warning, though, bending this area may crack the frame.  I don't really know.  It worked for me.

best luck, tom

If you raised the front end up by using the longer forks, does  it not make it handle like crap? I would think that it would not turn in very well. Can you slide the forks up into the clamp and lower the front end to get the geometry back to stock?

• Like 1

This ^, but if not then cut and reweld  the stocker to make it longer.

A chopper XR. :rolleyes:

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

7 hours ago, geezer99 said:

I've got an older xr250 (1981) and the kick stand on it appeared way too short, too.  After looking at the lug that is welded to the frame, I figured something was bent.  So, I kicked the kick stand inward, and the change in angle made it just right.  So, you might examine your mounting lug to see if it's been bent a little.  Doesn't seem to take much. 

Warning, though, bending this area may crack the frame.  I don't really know.  It worked for me.

best luck, tom

I took a look and you may have mentioned another issue. There is paint chipped away at sides of weld for the frame tab. There would be no way to determine how far it may have bent. There is clearly a bow to the steel pipe of the stand. The guy who owned it before me was short and admitted to kick starting while he was on the pegs and stand was down for support. Grr! So, I prolly have two points of bending. The frame mount is 1/4" steel which would requiring heat bending. I don't want to do that. I'm gonna try heating the stand and pushing it back in. I'll see how much that will gain me and go from there. 

To the above: I haven't noticed any poor handling characteristics yet. Quite the opposite really. The front end came up about 1.5" if I remember right. Which for my height and weight feels way better than the mushy weak stock forks. I can raise the tubes 3/4" is all, but don't think I will need to for handling reasons. 

18 hours ago, easystreet said:

To the above: I haven't noticed any poor handling characteristics yet. Quite the opposite really. The front end came up about 1.5" if I remember right. Which for my height and weight feels way better than the mushy weak stock forks. I can raise the tubes 3/4" is all, but don't think I will need to for handling reasons. 

The 450 forks may be a little softer up on top than the 250 forks anyway. They may just sag down enough with your weight on the bike to be in the correct position. With no weight on the bike they likely just push up and cause it to lean ove.

Do not try and heat up the stand and bend while the stand is on the bike. Use a vise. The stand mount and foot peg mounts should never be heated. This portion of the frame is susceptible cracking. The frame drain hole often clog with dirt and they can rust the frame from inside out.

1 hour ago, 4strokeridertt said:

The stand mount and foot peg mounts should never be heated. This portion of the frame is susceptible cracking.

I agree completely with this.  My bike is an oldie, and the newer ones are lighter.  I suspect that some of the decrease in weight is due to a stronger but lighter, heat treated frame.  Heating might make other bad things happen.

I don't know for sure, but I would not heat the frame components.  I was able to bend it back to shape simply by extending the kick stand and kicking it towards the center of the bike.  With tennis shoes.  It didn't take much.  I figured if it bends that easy, it's not going to hurt it to bend it back.  Knowing it is that weak, I won't use the kick stand for more than simply holding the bike up.

tom

So getting real close I could see a hair line crack between the weld and the frame. The frame was fine you could just tell the weld peeled back (as in wasn't penetrated to frame at bottom). I removed paint, and dremmeled a slight v notch then braze welded that spot. It appeared to draw in nicely and looks solid. Repainted that area. As for the kickstand, I tried heating and bending it which was not easy, but did straighten it some. Then I prepped and repainted the kickstand. However, I think through both these repairs I only gained a 1/2" height. Still need an inch to erect it to my desires. I will prolly just look for a matching diameter pipe and cut the dang thing then re-weld. I doubt I can make it look factory and invisible, but at this point I'm just annoyed with it and want to be done. 

Wish I knew how long an XR650 was. Looking at parts scheme it appears to have a sensor attached to it. Must not start with stand down or something. 

I would cut the foot off.

Add the 1.5 inches and weld it up and rattle can it black again. 

Should not look bad.

I've done it personally on two bikes in the past and looked fine.

57 minutes ago, TimeToStartRidingAgain said:

I would cut the foot off.

Add the 1.5 inches and weld it up and rattle can it black again. 

Should not look bad.

I've done it personally on two bikes in the past and looked fine.

This was my thought too for the least jerry rigged look. Figure I may as well put on a slightly larger pad in the direction that won't stick out while in upright position. Keep it from sinking in softer soil. 

• Like 1

I had thought of that initially as the place, but quickly saw I couldn't without needing a longer spring or relocating the pin. Don't want to deal with either of those added issues. 

• Like 1