just curious if anyone has ridden both the new and last gen yz450 and how different they REALLY are. i can read reviews all day but theyre all from professional mx racers that probably pick up on little things id never notice. selling my ktm, pretty set on getting me a new yz, my price range is around 4k so that puts me in the range of buying a 2010-2013 yz450. however im being told from a few guys who ride these that i really need to save and spring for a 2014+, the cheapest 2014 i could find was $5000. are the 14's really that much better? should i save and go for one of those? My main actual question is with that same money could i make a 2013 the same or even better? What ever one i decide on ill probably do the same to either for aftermaket parts, exhaust, tuner, fly wheel weight and a lowering link in the rear. Ive ridden a 2015, which is what sold me on one, i loved it! i just dont wanna be disappointed if i get the early gen. either way will be better around the track then my ktm exc! lol, but man that electric start is soo nice

The chassis are very similiar but the 14 is really dialed compared to the 13. It takes a bit of work to get the 13 set up to work as well as the newer bike. I spent countless hours with suspensions settings and springs and oil levels etc with my 11. My 15 was way closer to the target. Fit and finish is also better on the newer bike. Many things were a miss on the 10-13 that were improved on the 14. Like the shrouds, air cleaner, exhaust, and a lot of other little things. The biggie is the motor. It is more powerfull and better everywhere. The 13 is decent but likes to be shifted early. I had an Akropovic exhaust on mine which smoothed the bottom and gave it a bit of over rev but it paled compared to my 15. The 10-13 would need a full gytr or equivalent motor package to compare.

So would you say for 800 bucks I should go ahead and spring for the 14? Cuz I'm kind of feeling like that