race tech rebound separator: what bleed? 1.5;2.8...

hia  all

I have purchased a rebound separator for my CR250 2007 showa shock (valving as original) ready for woods and rocky enduro and amateur riding

what is the ideal bleed size? 1.5mm, 2.8  or even 2.5??

what will the feeling be when narrower o wider the bleed?

thanks. I appreciate your opinions

Sorry but I don't think the rebound separator is a good idea for your riding terrain

you will need to make the compression softer when you install the RSV.

Better to start smaller on the bleed then go too big, 2-2.4mm would be my starting point 

race tech  said to me 2.8mm

however the other option bleeze size, officially speaking , is ,1.5mm.Can it be another size option ranging from and to these figures?

thank very much

10 hours ago, mog said:

Sorry but I don't think the rebound separator is a good idea for your riding terrain

hi Mog

i want more rebound damping (i want it slower)

but , when i go H with the rebound near to the limit, the compression also goes H      :foul:

regards

3 hours ago, frenando said:

however the other option bleeze size, officially speaking , is ,1.5mm.Can it be another size option ranging from and to these figures?

thank very much

Use more rebound shims till you have enough, with the clicker at say 12

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frenando said:

thank very much

It can be any size as you have to drill it.

2.8mm is big, easier to start smaller and go bigger later. Assuming RT gave you valving details to suit the 2.8mm hole

I would not like to constantly try to adjust the compression valving for each bleed hole size

If you want more rebound control, get the MX-Tech compression adjuster.  It meters return flow pretty well on the real LSR where the stock unit does not and calms the rear end down a lot.

The RSV does not increase the rebound in any noticeable way from what I observed.  It only increases the super low speed compression and keeps it at that level no matter what the rebound adjuster does.  Basically if you were to lock out the rebound damping and close that port, that would be your compression feel with the RSV.

• Like 1

I assume that since you ordered the part you can also install it otherwise you would have simply sent your shock off to someone or taken it to a shop. The MX-Tech compression adjusters probably work pretty well as Jer's stuff usually does but $250 to solve a problem that you can fix for less than $10 is a little much. LISTEN to Mog. Your shock, like every Yamaha or Honda shock I've seen for years needs to be revalved. I don't know why they keep sending them out from the factory like they do but that's life. You need to re-shim until you have your clickers for rebound and compression at about 10. A good operating range is between 8 and 12. Beyond 12 is not very noticable, less than 8 on the rebound side adversely affects compression as the compression free bleed is thru the rebound circuit. If you want to feel the effect, set your compression to 10 and your rebound to 12 and push down down hard on your seat. Then turn in your rebound clickers 2 clicka and push again. Keep doing this and you'll understand the effect. I would recommend a two stage rebound stack keeping the low speed light and the rest much stiffer. Happy hunting.

• Like 2

VERY different effect you're describing.  I've tried many, many different variations of beefed up stacks with the rebound clicker opened, but none of that fixes the LSR response to keep it glued going over over whoops.  That only keeps things annoyingly slow when the rider weight is already over the rear.

i appreciate all your enriching views.

but again my question, what does the bleed affects, either compression or rebound?

to put it simpler,that bleed is for the rebound oil flux or the compression oil flux?

regards

The bleed effects compression only , on rebound it's a check plate and fully flows , so you have to revalve compression to cope with the lack of bleed, ghill rightly says in whoops it's a great product, in roots and rocks not really

if the bleed size affects compression, i should go with the 2.8mm diameter instead any smaller. i want maximum flow of compression to make rebound affected the least when clicking into H.

am I  on the right track????

thanks

2 hours ago, frenando said:

if the bleed size affects compression, i should go with the 2.8mm diameter instead any smaller. i want maximum flow of compression to make rebound affected the least when clicking into H.

am I  on the right track????

thanks

The rebound separator does exactly the opposite. At iso clicker it provide more LS compression damping without affecting the rebound.

I think if you run the separator you will still end up with your rebound too far in and still have no bleed on compression because of it

3 hours ago, mog said:

I think if you run the separator you will still end up with your rebound too far in and still have no bleed on compression because of it

Spot on.

An RSV with a 2.4mm hole will provide no change to the bleed until the rebound clicker is outside the normal working range.

An RSV with a 2mm bleed hole will have little effect with the clicker less than 10.

to dwb79

then, i will go bigger than 2.4 to feel the rebound much before

( I want slower rebound speed)

am i right?

regards

Edited by frenando

The rsv has no effect on rebound clicker position , it only provides a fixed bleed for the compression

I understand Mog, thanks

i will do the revalve the last,

These days , i have no spare time and i don't want keep on striping the shock over and over testing holes sizes, 2.4, 2.6,  2.8, ......

as Race Tech  recomends 1.5mm  bleed hole for supermoto; and 2.8mm  for woods and enduro riding, i may infer that the bigger hole the best for rocky and hard root riding and make it more comfortable: earierCould it be so?????

Do any of you have ever tried to go beyond this 2.8mm and its effects???

yours. Thank all