Spark plugs difference

Just bought a 2010 ktm 150sx, fouled a plug. I called a ktm dealer close to me and oem spark plugs are $20. I went to Canadian tire. They had plug for the bike but it wasn't BR9 EcmIX. My question is, does it matter what spark plug you run? The picture is the one that was at Canadian Tire. It was 2 spark plugs for $1120170321_170056.jpg20170321_170122.jpg

BR8ES is what you want, maybe even a BR7ES... 

And no harm will come if you run a 'non dealership over-priced spark plug' 

Edited by Monk

BR9eg or Br9es are fine.  Ecm is the shorter version meant to be easier to change with space issues, and IX is iridium for longer life. I swap mine out often enough to get no benefit out of that.  Space isn't a huge issue on a 125 or 150. 

The two vital parts of the plug number are the E in this case which is the (correct for your 150) thread length and the heat range. The lower the number the 'hotter' the plug. This is governed by how much of the centre electrode is exposed from its insulation. There is quite a lot showing on a 7 but less on a 9 obviously. Your call but I would never run a 7 or even an 8 on a high revving 150 - we would never go less than a 9. Your BR9EYA will be fine.

• Like 1