Are everyone's brakes this bad?

I bought a 2005 CRF150F a few months ago and the seller told me the back brakes didn't work even thou he had installed new pads.

I brought it to my mechanic and had him go thru the entire bike and install new pads and adjust the brakes.

I know the pads are engaging the rotor as they will hold the bike still while stopped but I have almost no stopping power when riding at speed.

Is that just normal for this model or do I need to adjust/fix something else?

What did your mechanic say?If he adjusted them I would take it back and tell him they are not 100% . It's probably something simple.

Well then... might just have to pull them off myself and see what's going on. Mine barely slow me down

Could it be possible the hub is too worn thus the pads can not apply enough pressure?

How many hours have you put on to the new shoes?

All brakes take a while to bed in, even if all parts are new. If the drum is quite worn they will take quite while because the surface of the shoes will have to take the shape of the drum.

However there is a procedure which will help. Put the bike on a stand so the back wheel is off the ground. Loosen the axle nut. Spin the back wheel  and jam the brake on, release and do it again. Holding the brake on hard, do up the axle nut. This helps to centralise the shoes.

You should always do this whenever the back wheel has to come out.

On my twin shock trials bike I have even reamed out the hole in the brake plate a touch to give it more room to move and that bike has an excellent brake.

• Like 1

The new pads have maybe 3 to 5 hours of ride time on them. I mainly use the bike when I go to the track as we don't have many place to ride near me.

I will try what you suggest and see if it helps.

What I find strange is that I also changed the pads on my son's CRF100 and 50 at the same time and neither of these have the same rear brake issue. I am thinking the drum might be fairly worn as you suggest.

To adjust my rear brakes I put the rear wheel up and spun it while tightening the rear brake adjustment until the wheel would not turn then backed it off a couple of turns.  

6 hours ago, Fernacticus said:

How many hours have you put on to the new shoes?

All brakes take a while to bed in, even if all parts are new. If the drum is quite worn they will take quite while because the surface of the shoes will have to take the shape of the drum.

However there is a procedure which will help. Put the bike on a stand so the back wheel is off the ground. Loosen the axle nut. Spin the back wheel  and jam the brake on, release and do it again. Holding the brake on hard, do up the axle nut. This helps to centralise the shoes.

You should always do this whenever the back wheel has to come out.

On my twin shock trials bike I have even reamed out the hole in the brake plate a touch to give it more room to move and that bike has an excellent brake.

This process is a must do for rear drum brakes to work correctly.