Dead Start!

Guys, I have a tx 300 and when I purchased the bike the dealer sold me 15w50 motorex synthetic oil to put back in the gear box after break in..  I noticed after changing it that the bike has a slight tendency to surge when trying to start in gear making it take a few attempts sometimes..  This is a bit of a pain if on a hillside etc, to have to get the bike back in neutral before it will fire easily..  I also have my first race coming up and want to be able to start in gear for the holeshot obviously..

I looked in the manual and it recommends 10w40...  would the heavier 15w50 oil be making it surge like this?  downshifting 2nd to 1st also lands me in neutral quite a bit..  should I go to the 10w40 or something else, or is this even my issue?

1 hour ago, William1 said:

Trans oil has nearly no effect on starting. It is your technique.

I would agree with that if the same technique wasn't working before changing it....  However I have looked up how other guys that have the issue are doing it, and I will give it a try when I go out again.  The point is my bike used to start in gear as easily as it did in nuetral

11 minutes ago, Still Bill said:

Clutch adjustment to make it release more?  Other than that, possibly basket ears are notched, or plates warped.

This was kinda what I was thinking... The oil isn't going to be the deciding factor. Every bike has its little quirks when it comes to starting such a short blip of the throttle etc etc. The idle could be low enough that the bike won't fire, jetting issue blah blah... The stock battery is quite weak too so I would look at something more powerful such as the Anti-Gravity XPS line... 

• Like 1