How to Correct Being Sideways in the Air

So sometimes when I jump I get sent sideways in the Air and I crash on the landing. Is there a technique to correct it in the Air to get strait or when landing.

Don't panic when it happens. I'd suggest maybe even trying to get a little sideways on purpose, and correcting on easy jumps, basically learning to whip.

• Like 1

Don't panic when it happens. I'd suggest maybe even trying to get a little sideways on purpose, and correcting on easy jumps, basically learning to whip.

Do you think that if I correctly learn whips, I won't face this issue anymore?

Yes, but if you discuss it too much, mods may move you to the "pointless how to whip thread #6391" or whatever iteration it's on now.
  • Like 1

Well first, check you suspension setting, if it was to hard, the rear can rebound to fast when leaving the jump and throw the bike side to side. Second, squeeze the bike with you leg, that's help a lot, it's the way to ride. Third, learn to play with the bike when in the air( do it safely). Start doing mini whip, when your whip will become bigger, you will learn to bring the rear straight with you leg, the same leg that the rear of the bike goes. That way, when the bike will kick sideway, you will not panic and you will automaticly bring it straight. Hope I help you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hunter-13 said:

So sometimes when I jump I get sent sideways in the Air and I crash on the landing. Is there a technique to correct it in the Air to get strait or when landing.

I find that sometimes when the bike has a tendency for the back wheel to kick a bit sideways more than it should, that it is my suspension.

The other times it is my lack of technique: holding the bike more with your legs as you go though the approach and in the air will help with it not getting so far out of wack and easier to bring it back.

15 hours ago, Hunter-13 said:

No. You will start actually looking for jumps where you can whip more. Just that you'll have learnt to do them, hopefully without injury. LoL

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN

On 3/21/2017 at 6:30 PM, Hunter-13 said:

How sideways are we talking here? You crash on landing? I think most of us have landed pretty sideways without crashing at some point. Do you have any vids?

When you crash are you highsiding or lowsiding? Are you still centered over the bike in the air, or do you get off balance before you land?

I generally just treat it like a slide, lean to the inside, turn the bars into the 'slide', keep your upper body centered behind the bars and let your hips go with the bike, and land with the power on.

Unless you're pointing backwards you should be fine.

On 3/21/2017 at 9:30 PM, Hunter-13 said:

Getting sideways off jumps when you don’t intend to is 9 times out of 10 because you’re hitting an uneven face upon take off.  Think of a quad when it jumps off an uneven face; like where the two left wheels are higher than the two right wheels, your going to get sideways big time.  It’s the same kind of an affect with a M/C.  If there is a rut, a dished out area, a little rock or anything uneven about the place where the tires actually leave the ground it’s going to make you go sideways. 

The best way to solve this problem and keep your short clean is to make sure you take off in the center of the rut or dished out area, make sure you’re taking off on even ground.  If there is no even ground you have to compensate for the sideways pitch. 

The other possibility is that one foot peg is being weighted more then the other. 

This is explained in visual detail on my Volume 3 Series DVD # 6 "Motocross Basic Jumping Techniques". You can see a free preview and/or order the DVD or Stream. 

Vol 3 DVD 6 240.jpg

Edited by Gary Semics
  • Like 2

Suspension rebound will affect from and back attitude in the air but can't cause side to side deviation unless the bike is leaned to the side on the takeoff. 

If you find yourself kicked off to one side you can wrestle the bike back in line quite a bit by holding the bike with your knees and pushing the bars against the direction of the kick.  For best results you have to act quickly, right off of the face if possible.  There are also some thing you can't save, but for a relatively small unseen irregularity on the face of a jump you should be able to straighten it out in the air.

If there is a jump that wants to twist me a bit I let it happen for the learning experience. Basically I just pull the bike back in line with my feet and knees.  I'm also learning to land off line when my corrections come up short. Like all these complex moves, you start off thinking about it and eventually your subconscious takes over. Embrace going sideways for the experience.

Suspension rebound will affect from and back attitude in the air but can't cause side to side deviation unless the bike is leaned to the side on the takeoff. 
If you find yourself kicked off to one side you can wrestle the bike back in line quite a bit by holding the bike with your knees and pushing the bars against the direction of the kick.  For best results you have to act quickly, right off of the face if possible.  There are also some thing you can't save, but for a relatively small unseen irregularity on the face of a jump you should be able to straighten it out in the air.

Wrong, rebound being too soft will definitely contribute to this, gripping with knees helps but so does tightening rebound.

11 hours ago, Babywolf said:

Wrong, rebound being too soft will definitely contribute to this, gripping with knees helps but so does tightening rebound.

But it won't kick sideways bud.  Like I said, rebound will affect front to back pitch.  Can not affect side to side unless the bike is leaned over on takeoff.

Slowing rebound may also cause the rear end to pack up and rebound more sharply from deeper in the stroke.  Generally you want fairly stiff high speed rebound with light low speed damping. 

I don't see how I can make the motorcycle, that weighs more than I do, move in the air with my feet, legs or hips. I mean, it weighs more than I do, I have enough trouble moving it around in my garage with both feet on the ground lol. It seems like if the bike and I are both in the air, and I push against the bike, the only thing that is going to happen is that I will move away from the bike, since it weighs more than I do. I understand that the gyroscopic affect of the spinning wheels, turning the bars, and some other things can affect the bikes position in the air, but I have never felt like if I left a jump face and got sideways that there was much I could do about it. Obviously the pros and A riders seem to be able to move the bike around any way they want, so there is a way, I just cant seem to figure it out. 

Every action has a reaction.  Each wheel is a big gyroscope, one is mounted on a movable axis.  You hold the bars with your hands and the bike with your legs.  You're definitely not just along for the ride.  You might only weigh 75% as much as the bike but that doesn't mean your mass has no effect.

On March 31, 2017 at 0:09 PM, rbreak said:

I don't see how I can make the motorcycle, that weighs more than I do, move in the air with my feet, legs or hips.

Whips. Ipso facto you can move a bike in the air. 

1 hour ago, gatorfan said:

Whips. Ipso facto you can move a bike in the air. 

Yeah, I get that it can be done, I just can't figure out how, at least I haven't yet.