2015 YZ250FX Selling Price

Okay, so here's the quick and dirty.  I purchased a 2015 Yamaha YZ250FX brand new from the dealer with a clean title and everything.  Between full time school and the Air Force during the summer however, I am not at a point in my life where I can enjoy this lovely ride.  The bike has less than 15 rides on it, has been maintained as it should have been.  The bike is still essentially like new.  Kelley Blue Book values the bike around $5500 for a resale price but I'm expecting since it's used that I should price it lower.  It pains me to do this but without low balling myself, I would like to ask for your opinions as to what a reasonably priced dirtbike in this condition might go for?  Thank you in advance!

Edited by yamaha1123

$5500 is about right, that's what I paid for my used 2015 with only 18hrs on it and like new. 

• Like 2

As I have seen, setting the price for a used dirt bike should be based on simple economics - i.e. supply and demand.   I would go on Craigslist for your area and see if there are any 250FX's for sale.  I bet there are none, or very few, therefore the supply is LOW.   As we all know it is a popular bike and already priced considerably lower than the same bike in the color orange.   I sold my last dirt bike for a lot more money than NADA or Kelly Blue book suggested.   Also, as you say, if you have a very lightly used FX priced for say $6250, that is nearly $2,000 less than what the same guy/gal would be able to buy one new.  To many people, including me, $2,000 is a lot of money!    I like the bike so much, I will be selling my FX soon to buy a 2017!

• Like 1

The only issue is finding a buyer with 5500 cash. Alot of buyers don't and buy a new bike because they have to finance it. More often then not, the guy with 6 grand in his pocket has enough money to buy the brand new bike.

Your customer is the deal searcher (cheap skate) that wants a brand-new bike, but doesn't want to pay brand-new bike price. To get his business, the bikes needs to be in immaculate condition. If it's not, you'll struggle to get fair asking price.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

You're selling it at the right time of year.

I'd just list it and see what happens.

Zeroing in on "fair price" is tough in such a small market.  $5500 seems about right to me. Really depends how motivated you are to sell it and certainly a bit of luck.

I paid $6400 OTD on a brand new leftover '15 this past December.

On 3/22/2017 at 11:04 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

The only issue is finding a buyer with 5500 cash. Alot of buyers don't and buy a new bike because they have to finance it. More often then not, the guy with 6 grand in his pocket has enough money to buy the brand new bike.

Your customer is the deal searcher (cheap skate) that wants a brand-new bike, but doesn't want to pay brand-new bike price. To get his business, the bikes needs to be in immaculate condition. If it's not, you'll struggle to get fair asking price.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

not always true, when i bought my F i paid 5k cash and i could have easily purchased new.

Get as much as you can for it...I'm thinking about selling my 15 to get a new 17 or maybe hold out for 18. I'm trying to find out the skinny on the 18's to see if there will be any significant changes. All I really want is for the bike to loose a little weight. They are really spectacular bikes.

4-17-16 Big Buck GNCC race 1st place.jpg

• Like 1

Id definitely wait for an 18' for the guys thinking of selling their 15' for 17'. I have a feeling 18' will bring the big update. Seems Yamaha does every 4 years or so.

17 hours ago, Shredjim said:

Brought home the 17 FX today!

2017FX.jpg

Look forward to the comparison review!  Nice bike.

Yeah, I think $5000-$5500 is reasonable.  I bought my brand new leftover 2015 in February for about $6500 OTD

• Like 1