Big flat spot mid-throttle

Hey guys, I recently purchased a used '07 DRZ-400SM with ~14k miles on the engine. It has the following:

• 3x3 mod + the PO cut some smaller holes (3/4" x 2") in each side of the airbox covers
  • DynoJet (DJ) jet kit: 150 main, needle @ clip #2, 25 pilot jet
  • Extended fuel screw
  • Yoshimura RS-3 slip-on with no baffling (way too loud, re-packing kit and quiet insert on the way)
  • Aftermarket manual (non-vacuum) petcock
  • K&N air filter
  • lots of other mods, but I think those are all that might affect the fueling

When I test rode the bike, I noticed a very obvious flat/boggy spot in the throttle response - I'd guess it's around 1/3 - 2/3 open throttle. According to the TrailTech tachometer it was occurring between 5200-6500 RPMs. You could continue opening the throttle and it would get a lot of power past that flat spot. Also, the bike would pop/backfire quite a lot when downshifting or quickly letting off the throttle. From everything I read (and what other more-experienced people told me) my bike was running lean across the throttle range, with it being especially lean in the flat spot zone. Also of note: the flat spot was much more pronounced at lower speeds/lower gears, and wasn't very noticeable in 5th gear.

I've now taken the carb off twice, and have made the following changes:

• taped up the side holes in the airbox (left 3x3 hole as-is)
  • sprayed all jets and passages I could find in carb with carb cleaner - none of the jets appeared to be obviously clogged
  • bumped main jet to DJ 155, as recommended by the DJ instructions for high-performance aftermarket exhausts
  • bumped needle to clip #3 to increase richness
  • dialed in fuel screw to (I think) correct setting
  • also replaced spark plug and changed oil & oil filter, cleaned & re-lubed air filter

From my limited testing since making these changes, I believe the flat spot is better but not quite gone, and interestingly it seems to happen slightly higher in the RPM range (maybe from 6000-6700 RPMs now).

Now I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. I'm tempted to buy a JD kit (seems preferred over the DJ kit) and use their differently-tapered needle and see if that improves anything. But spending $80 on a single needle seems a bit steep, and I'm worried it won't magically fix my flat spot. Is there anything else I could do to possibly resolve it with what I already have, or at least diagnose the issue more specifically than I have already? Is it worth toying with higher needle clip positions, or different main jet sizes? Does it sound like the carb still has a clogged-up circuit somewhere?

Edited by tr1z
photos are fun

Is it still back-firing? If so, try tightening the exhaust clamp where the headpipe meets the muffler

Dmouse, I believe it's still backfiring/popping in some situations, though not as much as before. I think the fuel screw adjustment helped alleviate some of this, and possibly the main jet & needle tweaks did too. I'll make sure the clamp is on good and tight when I take the slip-on off to install the new packing and quiet insert I just received from Yoshi. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, virtually every used bike I've bought needed that clamp tightened up, if it's loose the bike will pop and backfire, especially on deceleration

I'm not a carb guru by any stretch, but mid throttle is need height territory.

I'm at 500ft and my needle id in the 4th down. Seems to pull smooth.

Thanks for the input Joel - is that 4th clip with the DJ needle, or are you using the JD one?

Thanks for the input Joel - is that 4th clip with the DJ needle, or are you using the JD one?

DJ

Ok Joel - I hadn't seen anyone mention using the 4th clip position with the DJ needle. I'll give that a shot if it's still hesitating mid-throttle after my exhaust tweaking.