Career Paths with dirtbikes/motorcylces?

Just wondering if there are any good careers that deal with working on dirt bikes, motorcycles, quads and that stuff, or is something not to go into? Im 21 i work in a factory and within the past couple of years ive learned a bit about working on bikes, not that much but some. i realized i kinda like doing it, and dont really find enjoyment with my current job doing the same thing just to get a certain amount of parts made each day, like there is no purpose or creative freedom. Any Suggestions?

Get a job at a dealership. Spend a year there.

I'd agree with this. Try some time at a dealership to see if you really want your hobby to become your job, if you like it then good and you'll have something to put on a resume.

At your age my question was not what jobs I could get working with dirtbikes/motorcycles. 

My question was what career can I start that will give me enough money / time to do the things I really want to do. 

Doing what you love is not a bad thing. Although, if we all held out for that career path that fulfills us, most of us would be broke. 

My answer was becoming a United States Merchant Marine. Specifically a Marine Engineer. Very high pay scale and half the year off!

This is not a career for everyone though. We work long hours. When something goes wrong its not uncommon to work 24-36 hours straight. Usually its just a 12 hour day, on call the other 12. I also do not get to see my family for 6 months of the year. It can be hard on relationships. 

What I am trying to say is, it is good to have dreams. But, not all of us can follow them and be successful. For me it was better to find something that provides well so I can follow my dreams while not working. 

• Like 2

Asked the same questions too.. but instead of what career to take, I went on taking a career path (not bike related, don't like it much either) that provided the highest time pay ratio.. then use saved time on riding. You may seek a work that you love but just don't pay enough, sucks. That's reality, can't have too much of the good stuff.

I dislike a hobby related career, too much engagement can rob the fun out of it IMO. One gets blinded with uniformity.

• Like 1

http://www.motorcycleindustryjobs.com/

Turning wrenches likely won't pay the bills. But there are SEVERAL other parts of the industry that one can make a career out of. The dealership is a great place to cut your teeth, but is the bottom of the food chain. Think bigger and think about every aspect of the industry that makes it all possible for the dealers.

Every company has a marketing, product development, sales, admin, warehouse, logistics, etc. That is where you will find career jobs.

And when I say company think, Fly, 6D, Klim, Rekluse, Bell, KTM, Yamaha, Sidi, Thor, WPS, Rocky Mountain, Tucker Rocky, Dunlop, and on and on.

RMATV is always looking for warehouse personnel, move to Kentucky and you can box dirt bike parts.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, kicknw1ng said:

Just wondering if there are any good careers that deal with working on dirt bikes, motorcycles, quads and that stuff, or is something not to go into? Im 21 i work in a factory and within the past couple of years ive learned a bit about working on bikes, not that much but some. i realized i kinda like doing it, and dont really find enjoyment with my current job doing the same thing just to get a certain amount of parts made each day, like there is no purpose or creative freedom. Any Suggestions?

I don't know anyone who likes bikes less than those who work on them for a living. And not a very good living at that. Most of them don't even ride much. Don't make a dreamy eyed decision you will regret ten-twenty years from now.

• Like 3

If your hobby becomes your job,chances are you won't do it much. I am living proof. My family and my background is automotive. I started in a autoparts store at 14 at 19 owed it with a full machine shop. Always had hot rods but didn't do anything with them any more after 23. A mentor told me find ways to make money while you "sleep". ( don't blow your money) I took the advice to heart and built apartments, and other things on the side. Age 35 after a very successful run in the autoparts and machine shop world I sold it and rolled the dollars into a large mini storage complex. I am 50 now and have been working when I want and doing what I want for the last 15 years. I spend a bunch of time playing with hotrods and bikes with time to expand into other business opportunities which equals more income for what I want to do. It takes money to " buy" the freedom to do what you want. Be wise with your time and money and in my opinion turning wrenches on bike is not very profitable and will not get you where you want to be long term..

• Like 2

When I was a kid I worked with a helicopter mechanic who had been a motorcycle mechanic who was now working on boats. 

On 3/22/2017 at 6:14 AM, William1 said:

Get a job at a dealership. Spend a year there.

On 3/22/2017 at 6:55 AM, CR250_182 said:

I'd agree with this. Try some time at a dealership to see if you really want your hobby to become your job, if you like it then good and you'll have something to put on a resume.

On 3/22/2017 at 7:56 AM, Audacious said:

Asked the same questions too.. but instead of what career to take, I went on taking a career path (not bike related, don't like it much either) that provided the highest time pay ratio.. then use saved time on riding. You may seek a work that you love but just don't pay enough, sucks. That's reality, can't have too much of the good stuff.

I dislike a hobby related career, too much engagement can rob the fun out of it IMO. One gets blinded with uniformity.

19 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

I don't know anyone who likes bikes less than those who work on them for a living. And not a very good living at that. Most of them don't even ride much. Don't make a dreamy eyed decision you will regret ten-twenty years from now.

18 hours ago, SnowMule said:

Do you enjoy riding now?

Because once a hobby becomes a job, it stops being a hobby and starts being a job.

Been there, done that.  It's a fine line to walk. 

All of the above is what I found to be true.

I just want to be happy, not have the highest paying job in the world but make decent money and time to have a life . rather do something i like than something i dont give a &%$#@! about.

On 3/22/2017 at 5:54 PM, partsguy57 said:

If your hobby becomes your job,chances are you won't do it much. I am living proof. My family and my background is automotive. I started in a autoparts store at 14 at 19 owed it with a full machine shop. Always had hot rods but didn't do anything with them any more after 23. A mentor told me find ways to make money while you "sleep". ( don't blow your money) I took the advice to heart and built apartments, and other things on the side. Age 35 after a very successful run in the autoparts and machine shop world I sold it and rolled the dollars into a large mini storage complex. I am 50 now and have been working when I want and doing what I want for the last 15 years. I spend a bunch of time playing with hotrods and bikes with time to expand into other business opportunities which equals more income for what I want to do. It takes money to " buy" the freedom to do what you want. Be wise with your time and money and in my opinion turning wrenches on bike is not very profitable and will not get you where you want to be long term..

Good advise, i have managed to save up about 15,000 right now even though i would like to buy nice things i want to make good choices on how i spend it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kicknw1ng said:

I just want to be happy, not have the highest paying job in the world but make decent money and time to have a life . rather do something i like than something i dont give a &%$#@! about.

I had your same thought when I was your age. Now I'm in my 30s with kids and bills. 

Find a respectable career that will provide enough to save for retirement, put a little away for savings, and pay the bills. 

Money isn't necessarily happiness but having a little extra can provide freedom to spend more time doing what you love. 

If you really want a career in the industry, a dealership would do just fine. Or even find a job with a company that makes aftermarket parts. But unless you see a future, don't stay in the industry  

Above all - when you have kids, share what you love with them. Don't work so hard that you can't find the time to spend quality time with them and don't sweat the little stuff. 

Just my $0.02

Edited by LRB
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, kicknw1ng said:

I was going to say join the army as a apache mechanic or vehicle tech for few years, then use their schooling program to get civie tickets. That's what I did but as a marine engineer.