Jump to content

Red-line for the 500 RR-S?

Recommended Posts

I only have 1.5 hours and 32 miles on my new 500 RR-S so it is still breaking-in.  I wonder what the red-line is for the 478 cc motor?  I had seen that under the break-in, it says not to exceed 7,000 rpm, is that the red-line?  It also says to not exceed 50% throttle and then 75% or 3/4 after 3 hours.  I've no problem with any of it and break in is going fine as I finally got to ride to work yesterday but I wonder, what is the red-line for this motor?  

 

I do like how I can adjust the tach.  Right now I have it set at 8,000 rpm  for the top readout.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was around 13,000 rpm. Read that somewhere, maybe a different model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've hit somewhere near 11,000. I'm not sure if there's a rev limiter but I normally shift well before then anyways.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!  11,000 or 13,000???  I'm going to have to increase the RPM top setting on the Trail Tech as I have it on only 8,000 rpm now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Wow!  11,000 or 13,000???  I'm going to have to increase the RPM top setting on the Trail Tech as I have it on only 8,000 rpm now.  

You probably should not be watching the RPM when your winding it out, just saying.  I have a Trail Tech on my KLX450r, never found the tach useful while riding.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the 2014 520(498) RS info from http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2014-open-class-dual-sport-smackdown-beta-520-rs-vs-ktm-500-exc

"its power character is smoother overall, with an extremely tractable low-end pull that transitions seamlessly through a potent midrange before gently signing off near the Beta’s 9100-rpm rev limiter. "

The engine was redesigned in 2015 downsized to a 480 (478) and fuel injection added in '16 so things may have changed a bit, but I don't think it will crack 10k.

In the real world what it needs (as well as lots of other bikes) is a big shift light when the torque signs off. My experience is a few vivid memories of the very few times I ever let the big dog eat (in the dirt), and it will leave a stamp on your mind forever. You run out of room to get it shut down very quickly. The engine feels like a beginner bike (cheater) with incredibly forgiving power under 4-5k as long as you keep it a gear high and gear it tall. Once you cross the threshold of mid rpm with the throttle pinned make sure your insurance is paid up and you are wearing some good safety gear, because it goes into warp drive and will pull a bike length on race 450's in a jiffy. It's like the turbo's kick in and it is not for the timid. On the street there is a lot more room, and that kind of power isn't so freaky. On the dirt, just stay away from it and shift.

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

the 2014 520(498) RS info from http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2014-open-class-dual-sport-smackdown-beta-520-rs-vs-ktm-500-exc

"its power character is smoother overall, with an extremely tractable low-end pull that transitions seamlessly through a potent midrange before gently signing off near the Beta ’s 9100-rpm rev limiter. "

The engine was redesigned in 2015 downsized to a 480 (478) and fuel injection added in '16 so things may have changed a bit, but I don't think it will crack 10k.

In the real world what it needs (as well as lots of other bikes) is a big shift light when the torque signs off. My experience is a few vivid memories of the very few times I ever let the big dog eat (in the dirt), and it will leave a stamp on your mind forever. You run out of room to get it shut down very quickly. The engine feels like a beginner bike (cheater) with incredibly forgiving power under 4-5k as long as you keep it a gear high and gear it tall. Once you cross the threshold of mid rpm with the throttle pinned make sure your insurance is paid up and you are wearing some good safety gear, because it goes into warp drive and will pull a bike length on race 450's in a jiffy. It's like the turbo's kick in and it is not for the timid. On the street there is a lot more room, and that kind of power isn't so freaky. On the dirt, just stay away from it and shift.

 

Yea.. plenty fast...plenty power...I don't even think it needs any light.. just gear accordingly to however fast you are going in the lower torque curve like you say... It's easy to feel...you know.... No need to wind it out.. it's a waste of time and energy...and you can be going at mach speeds depending on gearing.. Who's going to ride as fast as the Purvines team did in the dirt with beta? I'm not sure how fast the newest Beta 500's are compared to my 525 rfs powered beta RS.. I figure probably more top end? I don't know but mine geared like it was stock? ..for the road.. 6th gear and you are flying with stock road gearing..and the engine is mellow but very torquey.. i figure the newest Beta big bores probably have more on top and there's more than enough power for anyone..  I haven't ridden my 525 wound out.. it kind of isn't make use of efficient use of the power. It just doesn't feel right..like the bike doesn't want that..and it's going so fast already that it's time to shut down.. maybe for more of you guys in open desert with lots of room.. but even then.. I think I'd just gear up if wanting to fly at mach speeds. I think the 500 RS big bore Beta is the only bike that I don't have that I might like.. I'm a little jealous..just a little but I'm still ok since I have my 525 RS.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would only seek this info out of curiosity, but it won't have much value when you're riding. You'll be up-shifting way before the rev limiter since the engine will have signed off before then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, afm774 said:

I would only seek this info out of curiosity, but it won't have much value when you're riding. You'll be up-shifting way before the rev limiter since the engine will have signed off before then.

Yea..maybe if there's a good open area..like you said for fun.. I've heard that the newer 500's don't sign off like my 525 does but I haven't been in the position to ride the newer big bores ..and be able to open them up.. must show respect for others bikes.. I went about 80 on some dirt roads on my 525.. I wouldn't want to go faster especially when crossing some water cross ruts in the road. I had to upshift to 6th blip and lift the front end to clear some big ruts..felt like I'd shit my pants..bike handled awesome..even with soft suspension..it was not smart going that fast..just excited with a new bike at the time..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I searched and have yet to find it stated in any official print. I don't care but am dang curious just to know.

They must figure these days that the rev limiter sets it and they don't need to publish it.

I certainly didn't buy my 500 to ride up there and I'm a short shifter (um why I bought the 500....) so I may never find out personally.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danketchpel said:

I searched and have yet to find it stated in any official print. I don't care but am dang curious just to know.

They must figure these days that the rev limiter sets it and they don't need to publish it.

I certainly didn't buy my 500 to ride up there and I'm a short shifter (um why I bought the 500....) so I may never find out personally.

I thought someone listed it already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing that in all that is the TT brain-trust, that none of us really knows.  

 

Anyone have a direct line to Beta to find out?  

I have emailed Frank Pilg to see if he can find out for us.   

Edited by Ben500RR-S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, weantright said:

Very easy to find out. Rev'd it in neutral (cover with clutch) and find out.

The rev limiter in neutral is different than the rev limiter in gear on modern four stroke motors.

The fastest way to needing head work is to seek the limits of the valve train......that, and poor air cleaner practices.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Krannie McKranface said:

The rev limiter in neutral is different than the rev limiter in gear on modern four stroke motors.

The fastest way to needing head work is to seek the limits of the valve train......that, and poor air cleaner practices.

Please explain as the rev limiter is rpm based,,, period. Internal parts see different loads when ridden vs. on stand but in the end the limiter will kick in at limit setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weantright said:

Please explain as the rev limiter is rpm based,,, period. Internal parts see different loads when ridden vs. on stand but in the end the limiter will kick in at limit setting.

The Ecu knows when you are in neutral, and possibly even when between gears (missed shift), but I am not sure about the latter. This changes the rev limiter ceiling.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now where it is, but I sure as hell didn't bother looking down to see WHAT it is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, basalt said:

I now where it is, but I sure as hell didn't bother looking down to see WHAT it is.

 

I agree. ...but on a stretch  of pavement..maybe a bit easier..on dirt Im holding ass looking at whats coming up on the ground....or....face a gopro  down to see. Of course does this all really matter? Lol.. I know its just entertainment to know stuff about our bikes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

The Ecu knows when you are in neutral, and possibly even when between gears (missed shift), but I am not sure about the latter. This changes the rev limiter ceiling.

 

 

Yeah, bikes had neutral indicators even before EFI and would hit the rev limter at a lower rpm while in neutral. 

I wouldn't worry about the valve train if you bounce off the rev limiter a few times. Our 350 gets revved out pretty hard all the time and I have yet to find a valve out of adjustment. IMO Beta internals are about the most reliable out there?. I see what others go through on their race bikes and we just don't have those issues.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×