KX250 powervalve governor options...?

So I have a 1997 or 1995 (I'm unsure which one) bottom end which now has a ported 2000 cylinder on it. I planned on using the 2000 model powervalve governor but I've found that the outside end with the ball bearing centrifuge will not fit inside the '97/'95 clutch cover as the diameter is too large. I'm not too keen on spending more money on a clutch cover to suit the larger governor if I can avoid it so I'm just wondering if anyone with a bit of experience with or knowledge of swapping kx parts knows if the older governor which I have will work with the later model cylinder to open the valves at the correct time. It would be nice and easy to just throw the older governor in and just have it working properly right away :) 

Cheers and any advice is really appreciated

I did the opposite and used a 98 cylinder on a 00 bottom end.  I had to move the "wheel" around with shims so it located on the actuator arm correctly.

Thanks Jeekinz. I just went out and bought a different side cover anyway because I couldn't seem to get it set up right so I'm all sorted. That's a good idea about shimming the wheel though