Wambaw South Questions

Going to be in SC next week, staying in Myrtle Beach and would like to bring the dirt scooter and do some riding.  I know that of the NFS trails, only the Wambaw South loop is open...looks sandy and relatively flat, based on a couple of Youtube vids I watched...is this a fair assessment?

Also, what is Battery Park like?  I see conflicting info on the interweb...some say it is open 7 days a week, others say it is only open on the weekends...I would like to ride on a weekday as I will be travelling in and out on the weekends. 

Any locals have any advice on these two places or any others reasonably close to Myrtle Beach?  I've got a brand new YZ450 and want to get some seat time on it, but it is too nasty still in Indiana...thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Battery Park is one of my favorite local spots. I'm in MB as well. The park has miles of one way single track, Two mx tracks , one pee wee track and a decent parts shack . The large mx track was in decent shape with somewhat sandy , loose turns . The smaller track was loose as well, but the jumps are nice , not very rutted. The larger track is not for beginners and too much for my old bones, maybe 20 yrs ago. The single track and double track is mostly one way and marked well, red= easier trails and connector loops . black= more technical single track, slower pace (some are narrow goat trails) . I really like the trail riding there and have going almost every weekend for 5 weeks now. Remember we are on or near the coast so sand is the norm here ( there are more sandy places than this park though). After a rain is best for dust and sand pack but they do water the tracks and groom the trails. Lots of bikes there and very few 4 wheelers , kid friendly and nice place to camp as well. As far as week day riding , I would call first, I've only been on weekends. Capt Justin.

• Like 1

On a weekday you will likely have Battery Park all to yourself. Call the day before to make arrangements, Ashley has always been very accommodating for me and my son. We go once or twice every time we visit my MIL in Murrels Inlet.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, guys.  I hope to hit both places next week at some point.  Tried an MX track once, but someone reported a blimp crashing, so I mostly stick to the woods.  Sounds like both places will be good for keeping me occupied while the wife hits the outlet malls and such.

Hi riciol or anyone...   I plan to go to battery park this weekend.   I'm coming from Mt. Pleasant and have been going there solo for the past couple months (weekends) and really like their trails and the smaller track and I'm looking for riding buddies.   I used to ride when I was a wee lad and I'm just now getting back into it.   I'll probably go around 10 am Saturday for a couple hours... 

Sergio, call Ashley (the owner; number's on the website) and ask if anyone else is planning on coming out for some singletrack. It's usually pretty easy to get a group together this time of year. I would offer to join you, but I can't ride for a while.

Sergio, I appreciate the offer to ride, but I won't be in the area until late Saturday night and I will be leaving early the following Saturday morning, so I'm looking to ride one day next week.  I called the number, but the VM box was full, so I sent an email but so far no reply.  Guess I'll try again when I get down there and have a better idea what day I want to ride.  Also planning to go to Wambaw one day.

Roger that and have a good week!   I've been to Wambaw once and had a good time but it was all super whooped...     

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:38 PM, clappedoutkx said:

Sergio, call Ashley (the owner; number's on the website) and ask if anyone else is planning on coming out for some singletrack. It's usually pretty easy to get a group together this time of year. I would offer to join you, but I can't ride for a while.

Thanks for the info!  I'll look for Ashley when I'm there Saturday and introduce myself...  

Ended up riding the Wambah south loop several times over two days.  The trail was really whooped out (they are grooming them today), but still fun to get out and ride and the weather was awesome.  The trail host there was very friendly and helpful and at $5/day the price was right.  I never could get anyone from Battery Park to return my messages, so I guess that will have to wait for another day.

• Like 1

Grooming actually starts today and should run for two days. I rode yesterday to take advantage of all those whoops, and they whooped my azz!