Fuel Pump change 13-16 to 17+ models

So I was browsing parts diagrams online of the 2017 CRF250L (not the rally version), when I noticed something no-one seems to be talking about. The Fuel pump assembly is completely different on the 2017 models. This is no float in the newer models also it seems like a simpler design.

Oh and the parts cost difference is amazing. The full fuel pump assembly on us pre-2017 bikes is about $190 US (16700-KZZ-901), but the 2017 models the full fuel pump assembly is $13 US (16700-KZZ-D21).

I'd be curious to see who steps up to the plate for the new pump redesign and makes a larger tank. Because if us pre-2017 owners can swap to the new fuel pump design it looks like it may be a better pump design for aftermarket world to work will. Although, I'm not entirely  sure how the new model's fuel pump is assembled into the bottom since the fuel pump gasket is completely different as well.

• Like 3

Just take a look at the Parts diagramm .

Looks like the new design has a replacable Filter and there is now a spare Filter available.

The old fuel Pump was made in Japan and that push the price up .

Maybe the new one is made in Thailand and if that low Price is correct i buy one just for testing .

Maybe its possible to mount it in the old tank with a adapter .

I like the replaceable Fuel Filter , be on my 3th Pump now depend of to much dirt in the glued in Filter and the "no Float could mean a stable

and more acurate indication up and downhill .

1 hour ago, Schrauberklaus said:

Just take a look at the Parts diagramm .

Looks like the new design has a replacable Filter and there is now a spare Filter available.

The old fuel Pump was made in Japan and that push the price up .

Maybe the new one is made in Thailand and if that low Price is correct i buy one just for testing .

Maybe its possible to mount it in the old tank with a adapter .

I like the replaceable Fuel Filter , be on my 3th Pump now depend of to much dirt in the glued in Filter and the "no Float could mean a stable

and more acurate indication up and downhill .

Looking at the hoses around the fuel tank parts diagram leads me to believe that the fuel tank is slightly different. First off the gasket mount is different and they is another tube part that isn't on the pre-2017 models. I wonder if the fuel comes out the bottom like on the pre-17's or if it comes out somewhere else.

It would be really helpful if the owners with new 2017s could be pictures of the outside underneath of the tank.

Even more confusing, Acerbis lists their tank as 2013-2017 with one part number. 2374290001 for black tank. 

Mike Hankinson in the CRF250L Owners Group FB page reported that the new version of the Acerbis tank worked on his pre-2017 bike, better than the previous version. 

IMG_0917.PNG

Wow that is odd, in the parts diagrams the fuel pumps are clearly different, but really we all need a 2017 owner to verify the fuel pump is the same or different.

The fuel pump assembly comes with the fuel filter. And the filter alone cost more than the complete fuel pump assembly. I think the price is wrong. And the rally has a different part # for the fuel pump and it's about a dollar higher at about $13 hmmmm

Even more confusing, Acerbis lists their tank as 2013-2017 with one part number. 2374290001 for black tank. 
Mike Hankinson in the CRF250L Owners Group FB page reported that the new version of the Acerbis tank worked on his pre-2017 bike, better than the previous version. 

IMG_0917.thumb.PNG.ec0c8158e9f6b0c71d8a3860eaccb618.PNG

That is the same part number for the Acerbis tank that I bought in 2015. Is there really a different tank with the same Acerbis part number? Did anyone call Acerbis to find out?
  • Like 1

Has anyone with a 2017 model looked at the fuel pump in the tank? Would be easy way to tell if there is a difference since they look different in the part diagram...

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, dkappelm said:

That is the same part number for the Acerbis tank that I bought in 2015. Is there really a different tank with the same Acerbis part number? Did anyone call Acerbis to find out?

Well I just got a confirmation from Acerbis that the "new" tanks have a corrected fuel pump set for the 2013-16 models and part numbers are the same. However, their tech support says it won't fit work with the 2017s... Interesting

• Like 1

Good thing I just read this, was 2 seconds from pulling the trigger on a tank.  

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:09 AM, chucked said:

Good thing I just read this, was 2 seconds from pulling the trigger on a tank.  

Glad to have saved you from an expensive headache.

...Mind throwing up a few picture of inside the tank or underneath it when you get a chance. I'm curious to see the change in fuel pumps...

I put the new style tank on my 16 model the float faces the front. Gauge reads full until about a half tank then reads normal. I had one bar left filled up my tank and had about .7 tents of a gallon left. Not sure how much would be leftover when it starts flashing

1 hour ago, Burgan said:

Glad to have saved you from an expensive headache.

...Mind throwing up a few picture of inside the tank or underneath it when you get a chance. I'm curious to see the change in fuel pumps...

I can....

Wonder what it takes to get the Rally tank to fit.  Really need more fuel than 2.1 gallons.... Although 2.7 isn't much better.  $135 for the complete tank.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ridem32 said:

I put the new style tank on my 16 model the float faces the front. Gauge reads full until about a half tank then reads normal. I had one bar left filled up my tank and had about .7 tents of a gallon left. Not sure how much would be leftover when it starts flashing

Stock it's supposed to start flashing when there is an estimated .4 gallons left in the tank.

I will find out one day when it starts flashing. The height of the float will flash at the same height as the stock tank but this tank is wider so it might have more than .4 of a gallon

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Burgan said:

Stock it's supposed to start flashing when there is an estimated .4 gallons left in the tank.

Manual says .48 gal on the 2017 (2.06 capacity).