Hand tire pump and CO2 pump recommendations

I'm looking for a good hand tire pump after the tiring (pun intended) experience we had at the Dirty Poker run. I have a dual stage bicycle pump that I haven't used on a motorcycle tire (yet), but the pump doesn't even seat the bead on a skinny road bike tire (granted that it did need 85 psi). I'm going to test out my dual stage hand pump this weekend, but just in case it doesn't work I would like to source one for the D100, if possible.

Also, let me know if you have recommendations on CO2 type inflators to have with me. I'm a "belts and suspenders" type of guy, so it would be nice to have both options available, just in case I run into an "either/or" situation.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, pscook said:

I'm looking for a good hand tire pump after the tiring (pun intended) experience we had at the Dirty Poker run. I have a dual stage bicycle pump that I haven't used on a motorcycle tire (yet), but the pump doesn't even seat the bead on a skinny road bike tire (granted that it did need 85 psi). I'm going to test out my dual stage hand pump this weekend, but just in case it doesn't work I would like to source one for the D100, if possible.

Also, let me know if you have recommendations on CO2 type inflators to have with me. I'm a "belts and suspenders" type of guy, so it would be nice to have both options available, just in case I run into an "either/or" situation.

Thanks!

Nuetech, makers of TUbliss, make a nice ultralight and compact pump that retails for only $35 or so. I bought it and use it for airing up and down tires for dual sport rides with TUbliss tires. 

tubliss-mini-foot-pump.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pscook said:

Thanks!

For a guage, I bought a digital one by Slime for only 10 bucks or so, and the psi is very accurate and goes all the way to 160 psi. It also reads in KPa and BAR. The Nuetech guage is not very accurate on the low end. 

Thanks for the Nuetech recommendation for the mini floor pump, I'll have to see if it would fit into my pack. I'm not worried about floor pump or gauges, I'm set with all of that stuff, it's the pack-ready pump that I'm looking for. But Slavens has one on their website for $36, might be a good option. I also found some good CO2 nozzles on Amazon, one for $13! For that little I can buy two and still be money ahead.

6 hours ago, Russhole said:

I use a Bell Air Glide to keep the Tubliss at 110 psi. I installed my current set of Motoz with it as well. Under $30 at Walmart.

IMG_20170228_212134.jpg

Is that the new Motoz Hybrid ? How do you like it ?

2 minutes ago, Russ Henry said:

Is that the new Motoz Hybrid ? How do you like it ?

It seems pretty good. I've got 100 miles on it. One more Off-Road adventure and then I'll be doing a review.

• Like 1

That's cheaper by about $10 than the NueTech that Slavens' sells.
https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-RaceRocket-Master-Blaster-Bicycle/dp/B0062MDC64

Nice, yeah i think i paid closer to $50 a couple years ago, but it's been extremely durable and it only weighs 3oz. It is kind of small and while that's good for packing it will also give a bit of a biceps workout airing up a full size rear dirt bike tire.

I bought this a few years ago and carry it in my Tech vest. Seems to work just fine for my needs, but I don't carry everything in the kit. I am a spare tube kinda guy.
Don't call me Patches.
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/bike-master-tire-and-tube-flat-repair-kit

I carry one just like that under the seat on my street bike. It's kinda heavy for the dirt or ds pack.

co2 works but I've been on rides where they ran out of cartridges having to do it twice from pinching the tube.   I carry a small Nike basketball pump I got at big5, but my friends also carry stuff including a slime 12v pump. which is the way to go if you don't mind carrying it.

If you have a regular ride partner, whenever it's Christmas or their bday, buy them stuff like this. Then when you ride, they can carry all this stuff.  

• Like 7

for co2 I have a I think a Genuine Innovations brand and I use 65 gram co2 cartridges. It has a short tube you screw onto the valve stem then press the other end into the inflator head on the cartridge. Works pretty good. I have used it to add air to tires for a road section after riding trails. Only ever fixed one flat while on the road and we used a tire pump for the first inflation part then the co2 for seating the bead. I also have one of these 12v pump . Any decent high volume MTB pump should work fine for the majority of inflating needed for dirt bikes with about 12 psi in the tires.

I pack a Progressive Suspension Mini Gauge Pump. 

Progressive Susp Mini-gauge-pump.jpg

Depending on the ride I also pack CO2 but I've found two different sizes of CO2 cartridges; the small common type (12gram) and a larger 16gram threaded type so it screws into the dispenser.  I prefer the later but refills are difficult to find and more expensive. 

Nuetech, makers of TUbliss, make a nice ultralight and compact pump that retails for only $35 or so. I bought it and use it for airing up and down tires for dual sport rides with TUbliss tires. 

tubliss-mini-foot-pump.jpg

Same one I got, works good and folds up small

I bought a Genuine Innovations inflator this weekend, with 16 gram cartridges. It's a nice one with a trigger and lock, so you can install a 12 to 25 gram cartridge and just use what you need and save the rest for later. It's small enough to carry on my bicycle for the inevitable flat.

11 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I pack a Progressive Suspension Mini Gauge Pump. 

Depending on the ride I also pack CO2 but I've found two different sizes of CO2 cartridges; the small common type (12gram) and a larger 16gram threaded type so it screws into the dispenser.  I prefer the later but refills are difficult to find and more expensive. 

I am surprised that you can't find replacements as they are everywhere, up to 25 gram cartridges. You can buy a bulk box of 16 gram carts on Amazon for $30 for 30 carts.

But I installed my rear tire with my dual chamber bicycle hand pump yesterday, the only issue was that I couldn't seat the last little bit of the bead. I did get it up to 35 psi in about 10 minutes, which is pretty good for the little pump. I had to use the compressor to get it up to 65 psi to seat the bead, so I blame the tire (Motoz Tractionator, super stiff sidewall). But I think I'll be okay with the CO2 and hand pump.