TPS or Map...looking for more low-end

So I have a completely stock '15 500 EXC and with .585 vdc at TPS with 14/52 gearing and going to try13/52,   seems to run fine with no issues.

What would I expect performance wise if I de-smogged it & set TPS?

Would a different map get me better low-end grunt?

thanks 

I have a '16 and have tried various things. Opening up the exhaust had the biggest influence, I went with the FMF 4.1. Really let it breathe on top, but makes it painfully obvious that you need a better map(euro) and richen the tps. I found about .64 to be the sweet spot for me, and yes it is worth the effort to get that right.

My experience is that anything like this is give and take. While it runs much better on top, which is how I tend to ride, I do long for more low/mid. The trade off for the vastly improved top end was a loss of snap. I run 13/51 and it pulls past 100mph on the pavement. But there is no way I get the 3rd gear throttle only wheelies that some here speak about, even with the low gearing. I miss the snap.

I am considering the Mega-bomb header, but not convinced that the juice will be worth the squeeze there. Also thought about the JD jetting option to allow me to fine tune a bit. Still searching for the perfect power everywhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wFo said:

I have a '16 and have tried various things. Opening up the exhaust had the biggest influence, I went with the FMF 4.1. Really let it breathe on top, but makes it painfully obvious that you need a better map(euro) and richen the tps. I found about .64 to be the sweet spot for me, and yes it is worth the effort to get that right.

My experience is that anything like this is give and take. While it runs much better on top, which is how I tend to ride, I do long for more low/mid. The trade off for the vastly improved top end was a loss of snap. I run 13/51 and it pulls past 100mph on the pavement. But there is no way I get the 3rd gear throttle only wheelies that some here speak about, even with the low gearing. I miss the snap.

I am considering the Mega -bomb header, but not convinced that the juice will be worth the squeeze there. Also thought about the JD jetting option to allow me to fine tune a bit. Still searching for the perfect power everywhere.

Did you get the euro map? Local shop told me they can't remap per KTM, also said the euro never worked in they past when they did

Edited by gitenby

De-smog, map, tps all a must. That just gets you to the base level that the bike would be delivered if it weren't for a government that knows so much more than we do. In that form, the bike is actually very rideable, clean, snappy, and quiet as a mouse fart.

Opening up the exhaust was well worth it to me. I ride in the desert and probably at a higher rpm than most. Just always keep in mind there are some trade offs, and a screaming top end will often come at the cost of some snap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wFo said:

De-smog, map, tps all a must. That just gets you to the base level that the bike would be delivered if it weren't for a government that knows so much more than we do. In that form, the bike is actually very rideable, clean, snappy, and quiet as a mouse fart.

Opening up the exhaust was well worth it to me. I ride in the desert and probably at a higher rpm than most. Just always keep in mind there are some trade offs, and a screaming top end will often come at the cost of some snap.

So leave the screen installed I assume so I'm not opening the exhaust? or does that not compare to aftermarket exhaust? 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, gitenby said:

Did you get the euro map? Local shop told me they can't remap per KTM, also said the euro never worked in they past when they did

Your dealer is misinformed.  The Euro map makes a HUGE difference, especially with an aftermarket or freer flowing exhaust.

Edited by yzernie
  • Like 1

On 22/03/2017 at 0:30 PM, gitenby said:

So I have a completely stock '15 500 EXC and with .585 vdc at TPS with 14/52 gearing and going to try13/52,   seems to run fine with no issues.

thanks 

2015 work best at ,630 tps setting and gut out the spark arrestor in muffler end cap . also remove screen inside end cap .  try this firs . don't cost noting  . 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, gitenby said:

thanks 

desmog itself will not do anything performance wise(but necessary) , tps will slightly aide. removing the double noise screen from the exhaust, will have the biggest benefit with stock exhaust, but then the fueling comes back into play once uplugged. The stock mapping doesn't have the accelerator pump(fueling of that setting is also crucial), that's where the wheelie power comes from, without gearing it down too much, so even with 15/45 stock gearing, power wheelies in 3rd gear. 

The stock bike unmodded has to be clutched up in 3rd with stock gearing, so that should give you an ideal what can be expected

but stock bike is full of lean spots and glitches, other wise the bike has Big bottom grunt, if you get it set right, no hitches , no glitches

Edited by Spud786

Just an fyi, there are 3 screens, the spark screen is inside the muffler that you cant see, the double(2) noise screens, are the ones you can see. I would not touch the spark screen, the end cap tends to disintegrate if you do from vibration. 

• Like 1

From what I recall a few years ago when I first looked into it, I believe Munn Racing was in the $100-$125 range. If your gonna send out your ECU anyway, i would suggest at least shopping a round.

BTW, Chris sends them out as well.

• Like 1

From what I've been able to figure out, a dealer is still required to unlock the ECU, so all the guys offering the remapping services are partnered with a dealer to get the ECU unlocked.  I wonder why some dealers are happy unlocking piles of ECU's, while others won't touch them?  In any event, if your local dealer is unwilling to help, then this is definitely an option. 

Edited by sirthumpalot
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, sirthumpalot said:

From what I've been able to figure out, a dealer is still required to unlock the ECU, so all the guys offering the remapping services are partnered with a dealer to get the ECU unlocked.  I wonder why some dealers are happy unlocking piles of ECU's, while others won't touch them?  In any event, if your local dealer is unwilling to help, then this is definitely an option. 

Yea, because a dealer is the only one that is able to "rent" the machines from KTM that can interface with them to download the map updates.  Any dealer can do it, the ones that don't are afraid to get caught in an audit, after all, it is there livelihood they are "risking", can't fault them....we just have to be diligent in our search efforts:devil: