Xr650r chain slider friction?

Hello everyone, I have an XR650R and mainly use it for commuting, trailing and just having it for all around fun. I live in Texas so there's a lot of highways and high speed so I decided to drop my gearing to a 15/42 for a more easy cruise but I did notice that the chain now sits awefully tight on the chain slider I was wondering if that has any adverse effects to performance.

It'll wear out the slider faster , that's about it. Keep an eye on it so you don't chew up the swingarm. You may be better off going to stock in the back and going up 2 teeth on the front instead. 16/48 is  the same as 14/42. More teeth will last longer , especially on the countershaft sprocket.

Edited by JoeRC51

Agreed,,the larger numerically in sprocket size you can use the better to slow wear on the slider,and more teeth on the chain equals better chain wear,,and uneven numbers is even better I hear as it slows sprocket wear.. like 16/47  ..they say having an even numberand odd number is better

B

Edited by brianhare
  • Like 1

Hey I don't mean to reply on your post. But if someone can help me. I'm new to this site and can not find how to start a post. I need help I have an 05 crf 450 . Looking for rims. I found 2 used rims off of a 2016 crf 450. Would they work for my 05 crf or no??

3 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

The uneven numbered teeth is a old wives tail.

could be... but I`ve read that there is a reason for it but I bet in the end it makes little difference..

B

5 minutes ago, Joe plitnick said:

Hey I don't mean to reply on your post. But if someone can help me. I'm new to this site and can not find how to start a post. I need help I have an 05 crf 450 . Looking for rims. I found 2 used rims off of a 2016 crf 450. Would they work for my 05 crf or no??

Go to the CRF forum,,you`ll get better results bud..

B

1 minute ago, brianhare said:

could be... but I`ve read that there is a reason for it but I bet in the end it makes little difference..

B

Many bikes , including the XRL , come from the factory with evenly divisible sprocket sizes.

1 minute ago, brianhare said:

Yup....most do..

Doesn`t matter to me,,i change the chain every 2-3 years and the front sprocket 1-2 times a year...

I actually got a year out of my last sprocket from Fritz..first time that happened,i usually go through 2 fronts ..

B

I remember reading about changing the front several times as often as the chain and rear in the late 70's and I've done it since. It does make the chain and rear last longer. I've got a couple of Fritz's sprockets too.

10 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

The uneven numbered teeth is a old wives tail.

Can you tell whether the sprocket on the bottom has an even or odd number of teeth?

Sprockets.jpg

I don't worry about even or odd numbers, but a sprocket with an even number WILL wear unevenly if you don't ever move the chain by a tooth.  Fortunately, the sprockets I have for my XR650L that have even numbers are always on the bike short term, and on average get moved to both relative chain positions over time as they get taken on and off.

Uneven wear is bad how ? The chain clearances itself on the sprocket either way , BUT there is LESS wear with even tooth counts. The wear is only on the sides of the sprocket. Your pic illustrates this. Don't believe everything you hear.