Killing it slowly?

I ride with heated gear - jacket liner and gloves. I recently put the Edge Taillight kit on the bike and I notice when the gear is plugged in the signal lights blink at about twice the normal speed. If I just plug in the jacket without the gloves (the weather is getting warmer finally!) I get a disco pattern - 2 regular speed blinks, 3 fast blinks. I'm assuming that all this is happening because of a voltage drop, or something similar, due to the draw from the gear and that's affecting the inline resistors I installed with the taillight kit.

So my question is, by using the heated gear am I taxing the stator too heavily and will I eventually pay a price for this?

if your battery isnt being discharged you arnt over-drawing on the system .. the flashing problem is probably in your wiring and the circuits youve tapped off of is all i can think of ..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cowpie said:

if your battery isnt being discharged you arnt over-drawing on the system .. the flashing problem is probably in your wiring and the circuits youve tapped off of is all i can think of ..

Ok, thanks.  The gear is running straight from the battery, the lights are running from the stock wiring - I just disconnected the stock lights, snipped the connectors off and soldered them onto the tail light kit lights (with the inline resistors).

The stator will eventually fail but not because of the added load.  It just has a finite life.  Rumor has it a different type of regulator will extend stator life but I can not confirm that.  If the battery is staying charged, then the stator output is keeping up with the average load.

• Like 1

I do not believe your stator is an issue, but it might just be the the stock OEM relay.  The OEM relay will cause any LED indicators to flash at a higher rate.  I use warm and safe heated liner and gloves on my DRZ and had an edge LED tailight and LED front and rear blinkers that would also flash at a higher rate until I swapped out the relay.  I have also had no issues with charging the battery.  I calculated the full load of all the electrical accessories on the bike and my heated gear and fell within the output wattage range of the stator.  By any chance, did you install the 12 O'clock Labs taillight cluster?

Let me know if this answered your question.

Edited by RAE129
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RAE129 said:

I do not believe your stator is an issue, but it might just be the the stock OEM relay.  The OEM relay will cause any LED indicators to flash at a higher rate.  I use warm and safe heated liner and gloves on my DRZ and had an edge LED tailight and LED front and rear blinkers that would also flash at a higher rate until I swapped out the relay.  I have also had no issues with charging the battery.  I calculated the full load of all the electrical accessories on the bike and my heated gear and fell within the output wattage range of the stator.  By any chance, did you install the 12 O'clock Labs taillight cluster?

Let me know if this answered your question.

I did not change the OEM relay. I removed the stock taillight and signal light assembly and replaced it with the DRC Edge tail light kit, the DRC 602 LED turn signals and the DRC resistor wires for the LED signal lights.

My question about whether or not the issue is an indicator that the electrical system is under stress because of the heated gear is settled - thanks!

• Like 1