Engine Warning Light - WR250f 2015 - Help!

Hi all

I have a 2015 WR250f which I haven't ridden for about a month and I just went to my garage to fit some new graphics and could hear the fuel pump whirring and saw the rear light coming on.

I then noticed that the engine warning light was flashing. I made a note of the sequence which was: 4 long flashes followed by 3 short ones.

I checked the manual but could not find any reference to this code.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I disconnect the battery until it is fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Roscoe

I should probably mention the fuel pump and back light was turning itself on. I hadn't pressed the ignition or anything when I first noticed it.

Disconnect and then reconnect the battery and start it up. If they are in gear and you move it they will prime up and turn on. 

Code 43 for a yamaha looks to be a voltage issue. Normally related to a flat battery. 

• Like 1

Did you get this problem solved? Mine is doing the same thing and it is not a dead battery problem. 

Good morning

No unfortunately not. It still does it sometimes but I haven't had the time to really look into it.

It doesn't seem to affect the riding at all. I am planning to get a lithium battery for it anyway so will probably just wait to see if it still does it after I get that.

Sorry that doesn't really help!

I found it was a bad relay. There are two relay that are the same under the seat/left side panel. One powers the whole bike and the other is just for the rad fan. After I swapped them and the bike ran good and no more codes. 

Mine was turning itself on every couple of minutes on its own and giving the 4-3 code. The battery would go dead overnight but it was just a bad relay. Bought a new one and now the fan runs again too!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KTM-Bryon said:

I found it was a bad relay. There are two relay that are the same under the seat/left side panel. One powers the whole bike and the other is just for the rad fan. After I swapped them and the bike ran good and no more codes. 

Mine was turning itself on every couple of minutes on its own and giving the 4-3 code. The battery would go dead overnight but it was just a bad relay. Bought a new one and now the fan runs again too!

Where did you buy the relays from?

I got them here

https://www.yamahapartsguy.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a2a63f87002164cb28249/electrical-2

It's item #46. The one towards the centre of the bike is the main relay while the one closer to the left side panel is for the radiator fan. Mine were getting wet & muddy so the contacts were corroding too so I cleaned them up and used dielectric grease on the contacts before putting it all back together.  

I would say the code is for corroded contacts. If the relay itself is faulty like mine then the bike will keep starting up the fuel pump and the tail light every 5 minutes. That killed the battery pretty quick. 

Edited by KTM-Bryon
  • Like 2

So the saga of this issue carries on for me!

I didn't ride much over the winter and when I went out for a ride a couple of weeks ago the electric start would not do anything.

The kick start worked fine and the bike rode fine but still nothing would happen when I pressed the electric start.

Also, each time I turned off the engine the clock would reset itself to 12:00 hours so I assumed the battery had just run completely flat and then would not charge for some reason.

I ordered a new lithium battery and fit this in the week and the bike started fine first time on the electric start but the error message I originally posted about came up again.

I therefore ordered two relays like ktm-Byron suggested but when I then pressed the electric start absolutely nothing happened.

One of the new relays makes a buzzing noise and the speedometer screen lights up but no display comes up and the starter does not turn over.

I did however notice a buzzing noise coming from the bottom relay of the two whenever the starter button was pressed.

I fitted the old relays back on because I was supposed to be riding the next day but then had the same issue with the new relays.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't ride at all now as the bike doesn't seem to kick over either!

On 2/14/2018 at 6:18 AM, KTM-Bryon said:

Hi Im from australia and have the same problem with the fuel pump and brake light coming on after I've washed my bike. I purchased a cover from BnB in victoria to cover up the electrics under the seat. I installed the cover washed the bike but it kept on priming the fuel system, so no good. I found your thread on faulty relays which I think could be my problem. I only saw it also stated that your raf fan now comes on. I don't ever recall my rad fan ever coming on. Is it possible for you to take a photo of where i can find the rad relay to replace to see if that fixes my problem.My bike is a wr250f 2016 model, appreciate and help to fix this problem. Below is a link to the cover from BnB if it helps anyone.

cheers

Shooter647

https://bboffroad.com.au/catalog/product/view/id/574/s/electronic-cover-yamaha-yz250fx-wr450f/category/24/

2 hours ago, shooter647 said:

Hi Im from australia and have the same problem with the fuel pump and brake light coming on after I've washed my bike. I purchased a cover from BnB in victoria to cover up the electrics under the seat. I installed the cover washed the bike but it kept on priming the fuel system, so no good. I found your thread on faulty relays which I think could be my problem. I only saw it also stated that your raf fan now comes on. I don't ever recall my rad fan ever coming on. Is it possible for you to take a photo of where i can find the rad relay to replace to see if that fixes my problem.My bike is a wr250f 2016 model, appreciate and help to fix this problem. Below is a link to the cover from BnB if it helps anyone.

cheers

Shooter647

https://bboffroad.com.au/catalog/product/view/id/574/s/electronic-cover-yamaha-yz250fx-wr450f/category/24/

Hello Shooter647, the new WR come with the cover.  Is it same coverage as B&B?  I want to buy one for my 2016, too. 

604162532_ScreenShot2018-08-28at6_12_42PM.png.bb62362304940310a7649d5a520bf5f6.png

Hello Shooter647, the new WR come with the cover.  Is it same coverage as B&B?  I want to buy one for my 2016, too. 
604162532_ScreenShot2018-08-28at6_12_42PM.png.bb62362304940310a7649d5a520bf5f6.png
Can you take a picture of the radiator relay so I know which one it is thanks
Looks like the same coverage as the bnb one, probably cheaper to

20 hours ago, shooter647 said:

Can you take a picture of the radiator relay so I know which one it is thanks

I think they are talking about these 2 relays. 

1715950535_ScreenShot2018-08-29at4_05_05PM.jpg.bbb6810c2d9098e9c89878001b4e9885.jpg

Edited by albertlui

On 2/14/2018 at 6:18 AM, KTM-Bryon said:

Hey guys,

Washed my bike today after last weeks ride, all good put bike away.
Taking the bin out tonight i noticed my tail light on. Had a look light and ignition went off, bugger me 3seconds later heard the fuel pump go and lights come on again, stays like that for about a minute then switches off, 3 seconds later it repeats again. disconnected the battery for now. Any ideas what it can be?

Back again, bought the cover from BnB and installed before the ride. rode on saturday then cleaned bike. sitting round the fire sat night mate noticed my light kept coming on, wtf. Looks like it may not be under the seat area?

Have just found a thread on thumpertalk about the same issue where they replaced the relay for the rad fan and that was the problem. I must admit lve never seen or noticed my rad fan come on. So that is my next step to replace the relay, or firstly as you said check the relay then clean or replace and use the grease as well, fingers crossed. 

mine  is doing what KTM-bryon is doing so I've ordered a new rad fan relay and see if thats the issue.

5 hours ago, albertlui said:

I think they are talking about these 2 relays. 

1715950535_ScreenShot2018-08-29at4_05_05PM.jpg.bbb6810c2d9098e9c89878001b4e9885.jpg

That is the relays. 10 & 11 are the same relay so you can switch them around if #11 is giving you trouble or use #10 in #11 spot. You can ride without a fan while you wait for another relay.

1 hour ago, shooter647 said:

Hey guys,

Washed my bike today after last weeks ride, all good put bike away.
Taking the bin out tonight i noticed my tail light on. Had a look light and ignition went off, bugger me 3seconds later heard the fuel pump go and lights come on again, stays like that for about a minute then switches off, 3 seconds later it repeats again. disconnected the battery for now. Any ideas what it can be?

Back again, bought the cover from BnB and installed before the ride. rode on saturday then cleaned bike. sitting round the fire sat night mate noticed my light kept coming on, wtf. Looks like it may not be under the seat area?

Have just found a thread on thumpertalk about the same issue where they replaced the relay for the rad fan and that was the problem. I must admit lve never seen or noticed my rad fan come on. So that is my next step to replace the relay, or firstly as you said check the relay then clean or replace and use the grease as well, fingers crossed. 

mine  is doing what KTM-bryon is doing so I've ordered a new rad fan relay and see if thats the issue.

See post above. It will be relay #11 that is bad but you can use your rad fan relay (#10) to ride until the new one arrives. 

On 2/13/2018 at 11:18 AM, KTM-Bryon said:

What I mean is I took the fan relay out completely and used it for #11 relay. So my fan no longer worked but the bike didn't kill the battery anymore. I put the new relay into spot #10 and the fan now works but the fan relay doesn't have anything to do with code 4-3. 

What I mean is I took the fan relay out completely and used it for #11 relay. So my fan no longer worked but the bike didn't kill the battery anymore. I put the new relay into spot #10 and the fan now works but the fan relay doesn't have anything to do with code 4-3. 
Thanks for the advice KTM-Bryon
Can you tell me is #10 relay the closest to the left hand cover on the bike.

The fan relay has blue tape on the wire harness, main power relay has red tape. 

• Like 1

The fan relay has blue tape on the wire harness, main power relay has red tape. 
Thanks for all the info guy's, get new relay next week and will install. I will post up the outcome hopefully all good.