2003 XR250R

My friend just bought a 03 XR250R and wants me to set his suspension up. Thing is.....I have never worked on showa's. I only have worked on KYB Forks and Shock and have all the tools for KYB from seal driver to H-Tool ect....

I would like to get it set up for him so it doesn't cost him nothing. Right now he says the bike is real bouncy. He is 17 yrs old weights 180 lbs and is a beginner.

This bike he bought for $800 was a one owner bike. I know the person who had it before him and know that the Fork oil and the shock fluid have never been changed.

Maybe with just a full rebuild on Forks and Shock it will feel much better. Then again ......he may be to heavy for the springs that are on the bike.

Anyone know what weight the 03 XR250R was set up for? Just the target range?

Would this Fork and Shock be any harder to work on than like 2015 2016 KYB Forks and Shock?

Found on race techs site that the bike stock has the .40kg springs in forks and 11.3kg rear spring

11.3kg seems to me way way to heavy. My 16 YZ450 stock came with only a 6.5kg spring

The xr has no progression in the shock linkage so uses crazy spring rates

The xr has no progression in the shock linkage so uses crazy spring rates

Well I was wondering why such huge rate. How do you get progression through the linkage? Would that be like the connecting rod on my YZ's?

I don't know much about the xr , but I'm guessing it's like a pds where it only has a 16% increase where a linkage shock has double that