New to Thumper Talk - Bought a KTM

Hi I'm new to the forum.  After years of being on the road (I'm a chopper guy), I got this KTM.  I had a little KE 100 as a kid and rode a few dirt bikes bikes but we're talking 1979 here haha. 

Anyway, I bought this 2003 KTM 450 sx from the 3rd owner.  He said the front end was professionally lowered by the first owner (shop sticker on the left fork tube) and the seller threw in OEM springs with the bike saying he was gonna change them but never got to it.  After seeing other 450's online, I'm pretty sure the back's been lowered too.

My question I want to get back to stock. Are there certain compatible year/models of KTM's that I can search ebay for to get the right swingarm/shock for the rear?

Check out the pix.  This was in my hotel parking lot in Pburgh before I drove it home to maryland.  My fb buddies warned me not to crank the front end way down (like my choppers) so I undid the ratchets after this was taken and tightened them just barely so the bike wouldn't move.  There were no straps on the rear only the bars.

Thanks!  Glad to be herr

17434653_10212292512127982_8013747839693006904_o.jpg

IMG_2467.JPG

• Like 1

They were right about the cinching part. You should be able to find what you need on EBay. You can also search online for a manual which will tell you what are the stock heights. From the picture and age of the bike the suspension probably needs work. Welcome and ride safe.

• Like 1

The lowering was more than likely done with internal spacers in both the forks and shock. Your best bet might be to have a suspension shop remove them and at the same time revalve and spring them for your intended use and skill. Good luck and have fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rembrand said:

The lowering was more than likely done with internal spacers in both the forks and shock. Your best bet might be to have a suspension shop remove them and at the same time revalve and spring them for your intended use and skill. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks but I'll do it myself once I figure out what I need. 

The shock is a nightmare for a guy not used to mx suspension, I would take it to a shop and do the forks yourself

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mog said:

The shock is a nightmare for a guy not used to mx suspension, I would take it to a shop and do the forks yourself

ok thanks man

I am about to follow in your footsteps. Grew up on dirt until I was able to get a street bike. Been on street for 30 years with some ATV in there too. My garage will soon have an iron horse and a new to me KTM. Looking at a 02 520 tonight. Good deal and looks to be taken care of. It's like I'm a kid again waiting for Christmas.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 6:11 PM, SoMdRider said:

Hi I'm new to the forum.  After years of being on the road (I'm a chopper guy), I got this KTM.  I had a little KE 100 as a kid and rode a few dirt bikes bikes but we're talking 1979 here haha. 

Anyway, I bought this 2003 KTM 450 sx from the 3rd owner.  He said the front end was professionally lowered by the first owner (shop sticker on the left fork tube) and the seller threw in OEM springs with the bike saying he was gonna change them but never got to it.  After seeing other 450's online, I'm pretty sure the back's been lowered too.

My question I want to get back to stock. Are there certain compatible year/models of KTM's that I can search ebay for to get the right swingarm/shock for the rear?

Check out the pix.  This was in my hotel parking lot in Pburgh before I drove it home to maryland.  My fb buddies warned me not to crank the front end way down (like my choppers) so I undid the ratchets after this was taken and tightened them just barely so the bike wouldn't move.  There were no straps on the rear only the bars.

Thanks!  Glad to be herr

17434653_10212292512127982_8013747839693006904_o.jpg

IMG_2467.JPG

Welcome. I also bought a KTM recently but not new to Thumpertalk, its a great site with even greater folks.

Here is a link to a Fork Brace option worth thinking about. I think they are great. Less stress on your fork seals, and the front end stays straighter cause it isn't 'pogo-sticking' as your driving on bumping roads. 

Enjoy your Katoom.

On 3/23/2017 at 2:05 PM, mog said:

I second that.  The big thing with dealing with suspension is getting the right tools.  I have gotten by with some forks by making my own tools, but if you plan to do this you should buy the right ones.  The investment is significant and if you don't plan on doing it all the time you are better off paying a shop for a rebuild.  Depending on where you go i would guess you will be in $200-$800 to rebuild, revalve and fix whatever was done to your forks and shock.  You won't be able to buy a shock and forks for the same and not have to rebuild them too.  If you are in Southern MD there are several shops around that could handle that or you can box them up and send them to a shop. 

13 hours ago, usctrack said:

I am about to follow in your footsteps. Grew up on dirt until I was able to get a street bike. Been on street for 30 years with some ATV in there too. My garage will soon have an iron horse and a new to me KTM. Looking at a 02 520 tonight. Good deal and looks to be taken care of. It's like I'm a kid again waiting for Christmas.

That's awesome man!  I've had so much fun on my KTM in the last 6 months since I posted this.  Good luck!

23 minutes ago, shift1313 said:

I second that.  The big thing with dealing with suspension is getting the right tools.  I have gotten by with some forks by making my own tools, but if you plan to do this you should buy the right ones.  The investment is significant and if you don't plan on doing it all the time you are better off paying a shop for a rebuild.  Depending on where you go i would guess you will be in $200-$800 to rebuild, revalve and fix whatever was done to your forks and shock.  You won't be able to buy a shock and forks for the same and not have to rebuild them too.  If you are in Southern MD there are several shops around that could handle that or you can box them up and send them to a shop. 

Thanks but I did all myself shortly after my post 6 months ago.  It wasnt bad with the manual.  I was able to sell the take offs on ebay to repay myself for the parts I changed for.  

20229288_10213596961218394_108018659750901380_n.jpg

• Like 1