Sunoco 110

Hey guys I've noticed with high compression piston this season the bike pings a bit at low rpm. 13:1:1 ratio. There's someone who sells Sunoco 110 purple at a good price. I put a fresh tank and test rode briefly and the ping seems gone. Throttle response seems improved and runs cleaner than before. Haven't put a solid moto on yet though. Do I need to be mixing this 50/50 with pump? I can get ethanol free 93 as well but that's what the bike had the ping with. It was 39 bucks for 5 gallons so the price isn't too bad. I don't want to pay for vp and honestly it's a pain to get around me anyway from what I've found. If you plan to tell me race fuel is a waste of money please don't post. Improving this bike is my hobby and with the compression increase I'm on the line and would rather be safe than sorry. I just want to know if mixing would yield better results

• Like 1

You only need enough "grape juice" to stop the pinging. If 50/50 is enough than great. Octane doesn't make power, it only allows you to run higher compression without detonation. The increased compression is what makes the power. Too much octane for a motor will actually make less power.

• Like 1

Yeah, you could maybe even go to 3:1 if it's a major chore getting race gas.

People say it's bad, the 110 has a curve more towards the spectrum of pump gas and making up with ethanol free should be fine. Prolly run best!

Ok thanks for the tips guys. I'll run the tank down a bit and try 50/50 and see what that result is.

Which coupler are you running? You may need to run the "rich" coupler with a high compression piston 

Not necessary to run the rich coupler... run the one that feels best. I run the lean coupler with a 13.5:1 piston cams and slightly advanced timing and fuel trim. 

I'm running the lean coupler. Always ran it stock and haven't tried the rich yet. Happy I have the ping fixed. Hoping for a nice weekend here in Iowa where I can get a day of track time in to try some different things

I swap between the lean and stock coupler depending on the conditions. The only time I have ever used the rich coupler was in the mud when it was super sloppy.

On 3/22/2017 at 6:05 PM, Andyb756 said:

Hey guys I've noticed with high compression piston this season the bike pings a bit at low rpm. 13:1:1 ratio. There's someone who sells Sunoco 110 purple at a good price. I put a fresh tank and test rode briefly and the ping seems gone. Throttle response seems improved and runs cleaner than before. Haven't put a solid moto on yet though. Do I need to be mixing this 50/50 with pump? I can get ethanol free 93 as well but that's what the bike had the ping with. It was 39 bucks for 5 gallons so the price isn't too bad. I don't want to pay for vp and honestly it's a pain to get around me anyway from what I've found. If you plan to tell me race fuel is a waste of money please don't post. Improving this bike is my hobby and with the compression increase I'm on the line and would rather be safe than sorry. I just want to know if mixing would yield better results

It isn't easy to get here,  and if that is a lead free one I wouldn't worry about running it straight, but like most here I would try mixing it down to the point where it was all you need.

RACE GAS | Racing Fuel Concentrate
http://race-gas.com/

Give this stuff a try. Its cheaper than race fuel and boosts octane if you need it. However 13:1 compression ratio shouldn't ping on pump gas