Places to ride in Northern Utah

Anybody live in Utah or been to Utah that knows of some good trails/areas to ride? I like in the clearfield area and am still pretty knew here since being stationed at Hill AFB last April. I know, I know, I know do my homework, find my own trails, but I'm getting pretty impatient trying to find new things to ride. I'm looking for any trail systems or areas within an hour from the clearfield area. I've already ridden Farmington canyon and bountiful peak, skyline trail in Ogden, 5 mile pass in Lehi, and Delle. Anybody who has some riding to contribute please list below. Again, looking for dirtbike trails and areas within about an hour from the clearfield, Utah area. Thanks!

I live in West Jordan so I understand the need for new places close to home.

-American Fork Canyon is by far the best riding in northern Utah. There is about 100 miles worth of tight overgrown single track.

-Hobble creek Canyon. This is another MAJOR trail system that connects into several other canyons with dozens of trail options. You can ride from Springville all the way past strawberry reservoir.

-Stansbury Front. This trail is on the mountain range just west of Tooele. It's a lot less traveled than the other areas and has an awesome mix of terrain and difficulty. It follows the mountain for about 25 miles one way. You can hit pavement at that point or ride trail back.

-Lake Mountain is the mountain between Utah Lake and Eagle Mountain. It has atleast 40 miles of fun single track and is far more fun than its neighbor 5Mile.

-Knolls. I know you said you went to Delle but it has nothing compared to knolls. It's about 20 miles further west and is a state park. They have salt flats, sand dunes, and nasty Rocky hills.

I know there are more trails above Brigham city, Mantua, Pine View, but I have never ridden them to give you details.

• Like 1

I live in West Jordan so I understand the need for new places close to home.

-American Fork Canyon is by far the best riding in northern Utah. There is about 100 miles worth of tight overgrown single track.

-Hobble creek Canyon. This is another MAJOR trail system that connects into several other canyons with dozens of trail options. You can ride from Springville all the way past strawberry reservoir.

-Stansbury Front. This trail is on the mountain range just west of Tooele. It's a lot less traveled than the other areas and has an awesome mix of terrain and difficulty. It follows the mountain for about 25 miles one way. You can hit pavement at that point or ride trail back.

-Lake Mountain is the mountain between Utah Lake and Eagle Mountain. It has atleast 40 miles of fun single track and is far more fun than its neighbor 5Mile.

-Knolls. I know you said you went to Delle but it has nothing compared to knolls. It's about 20 miles further west and is a state park. They have salt flats, sand dunes, and nasty Rocky hills.

I know there are more trails above Brigham city, Mantua, Pine View, but I have never ridden them to give you details.

Thank you for the input. I've thought about making a trip to AF since I've heard good things same with Hobble Creek. I know you said you haven't ridden the other areas you listed, but do you at least know where the trail systems are for like Mantua or Pine View? That's honestly my main problem is just finding where these trail systems start like the trail heads or staging areas since a lot of the trails aren't even listed online and of course I get the whole "do your own homework" crap which is frustrating when I don't have the time or gas to go out just searching for OHV approved trials and areas. Thanks again, the input really helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I know a little far South of you Guys but reach out to the RockyMountain MC/ATV Guys in Payson UT... I've been told that they give back and do trail grooming and occasionally set up rides, I hear some epic stuff that way. I suggest you get your parts from them and start talking to the folks there. I'm sure they could also point out some epic rides. Bought only time I get that way is racing NHHA out of Little Sahara or passing through on way to Montana. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the input. I've thought about making a trip to AF since I've heard good things same with Hobble Creek. I know you said you haven't ridden the other areas you listed, but do you at least know where the trail systems are for like Mantua or Pine View? That's honestly my main problem is just finding where these trail systems start like the trail heads or staging areas since a lot of the trails aren't even listed online and of course I get the whole "do your own homework" crap which is frustrating when I don't have the time or gas to go out just searching for OHV approved trials and areas. Thanks again, the input really helps!

Logan canyon has some pretty good trails to which isn't to much farther than mantua but might be getting a little ways out of your hour away range

Search for the Avon shooting range. That is where everyone parks for the Avon trail system that ties in to the Mantua trail system. It is some of the best/more fun riding in this area (I am from Clearfield, living in West Haven) If you have ridden Skyline, then I assume you know where the parking lot is on the north ogden divide? Skylime to the south will take you to pineview via the mountain peaks. Skyline to the north of the divide takes you up to Ben Lomond peak. You can continue from there over to inspiration pass/lookout. From there you can go down and tie into the mantua/avon trails and make a big loop. Or continue north and end up in the Logan area. I've read a thread where a guy and a few buddies left west haven, started on the single track at Pineview and rode single track north all the way to Island Park Idaho.

Unfortunately none of that riding will be accessible for a while with this snow we had.

If you're will to drive, there is a ton of good riding in under 2hrs from here.

Delle, the single track stuff on the north side can get intense.

White hills down in Gunnison. It is a mini Cainville.

5 mile, to eureka and back is a good loop ride. Or 5 mile to eureka to little moab to soldier pass single track and back to 5 mile is an epic loop.

Stansbury front single track in grantsville is pretty fun.

Overnight trips, for sure go down to Green river and ride the white wash area. Youtube dead cow wash and the tubes. It is one of my all time favorites.

If you're interested, my self and a few friends have a facebook group that we use to discuss/set up ride plans. We are out every weekend. Saturdays and Sundays. I usually only do the Sunday rides. Some people even set up weekday rides. We have a wide variety of riders/skill levels.

Search for the Avon shooting range. That is where everyone parks for the Avon trail system that ties in to the Mantua trail system. It is some of the best/more fun riding in this area (I am from Clearfield, living in West Haven) If you have ridden Skyline, then I assume you know where the parking lot is on the north ogden divide? Skylime to the south will take you to pineview via the mountain peaks. Skyline to the north of the divide takes you up to Ben Lomond peak. You can continue from there over to inspiration pass/lookout. From there you can go down and tie into the mantua/avon trails and make a big loop. Or continue north and end up in the Logan area. I've read a thread where a guy and a few buddies left west haven, started on the single track at Pineview and rode single track north all the way to Island Park Idaho.

Unfortunately none of that riding will be accessible for a while with this snow we had.

If you're will to drive, there is a ton of good riding in under 2hrs from here.

Delle, the single track stuff on the north side can get intense.

White hills down in Gunnison. It is a mini Cainville.

5 mile, to eureka and back is a good loop ride. Or 5 mile to eureka to little moab to soldier pass single track and back to 5 mile is an epic loop.

Stansbury front single track in grantsville is pretty fun.

Overnight trips, for sure go down to Green river and ride the white wash area. Youtube dead cow wash and the tubes. It is one of my all time favorites.

If you're interested, my self and a few friends have a facebook group that we use to discuss/set up ride plans. We are out every weekend. Saturdays and Sundays. I usually only do the Sunday rides. Some people even set up weekday rides. We have a wide variety of riders/skill levels.

Good shit man! Seriously thanks for all that. I'm definitely going to have to pack up the truck when it starts getting warmer to explore some of those places.
  • Like 1

If you love riding Utah, you should be aware that there is a move afoot in Congress to declare another 9 million acres as Wilderness. That means ZERO motorized use on a chunk of land about twice as large as the state of New Jersey.

From an AMA press release:

Help Keep 9 Million Acres Open For OHV Use
Contact your representative Today!
 Take Action

U.S. Rep. Alan Lowenthal (D-Calif.) introduced America's Red Rock Wilderness Act, H.R. 2044. This latest legislation, the first version of which was introduced in 1989, would designate as Wilderness 9.2 million acres in Utah, including Desolation and Labyrinth Canyons, the Dirty Devil River, Bitter Creek, White Canyon and the San Rafael Swell. This Wilderness designation would make the land off-limits to off-highway riders.

In the House, of the bill's 30 original cosponsors, not a single one represents an area that would be affected by the proposed Wilderness designation. Lowenthal, the House bill's sponsor, is from California.

The proposed area of new Wilderness designation is nearly twice the size of New Jersey.

We need your help to stop this bill because it does not conform to the original Congressional intent of a Wilderness designation "where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain," and that "there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motor boats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area."

A prewritten email is available for you to send to your representative by following the "Take Action" link.

We must remain vigilant on this legislation. If this misguided effort becomes law, the effect on the OHV community would be devastating for generations. Please contact your representative right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 2044.

Now more than ever, it is crucial that you and your riding friends become members of the AMA to help protect our riding freedoms. More members mean more clout against the opponents of motorcycling. That support will help fight for your rights - on the road, trail and racetrack and in the halls of government. If you are a motorcycle rider, join the AMA at www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/join.