XR/XL185 Fork Change and other questions

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 1979 XR 185 as a bushel basket today.

Is there a way to swap the front forks with some newer, motocross style inverted forks if I could find some on a parts bike somewhere?

Also do any of you know if all of the engine parts are interchangeable?

Any help or advice on these would be appreciated.

Thank you

The twin shock bikes have very short forks compared to anything modern.  It would ruin the bikes geometry to install modern forks.  The best match for length would be modern forks from a cr85 or crf150r, that can and has been done.  I still think it would be bad match to the twin shock chassis.  Something like the 36mm kyb fork used on the 84+ xr200r's would add some rigidity and rebuild parts are still out there.  The '84-85 xr250 fork has slightly bigger tubes and has a front disk, and would work.

The 200 motor is just a bored over 185, so almost all parts swap between the two.  The 185 cyl can be bored to any of the 200 piston sizes.  There are a few 185 specific parts such as the intake manifold and the exhaust which are chassis specific.

Good luck with the rebuild.

I forgot to mention my bike also came with a set of Fox Air Shox for the rear shock absorbers, does anyone know about these shocks? I inflated them with my air compressor and they seem just fine, but I don't really understand the point of them. 

They seem like theres a chance they could be prone to problems such as leaks and difficulty to adjust