difference between drz400s/sm vs drz400e for luggage racks

Gents:

I am trying to buy a rear rack (or possibly top and side racks) for my 2001 400e, and a lot of the racks sold are for the s/sm fittment.

Do the rear fenders/frame really differ on the two? Will I run into major fittment issues if I buy the s/sm rack?

The s/sm has a subframe that goes all the way back. The E subframe is shorter. You won't have the mounting holes on the E for some of those s/sm specific racks. There are E specific racks; but I don't think they handle the same load.

I mounted a subframe of an S on my E. The rear fender needs to be cut a little therefore.

Then I mounted side and top racks.

I used a Pro-Moto Billet rack on my 2006 DRZ-E which has an E sub-frame.  One of its mounting points is the seat hold down bolts.  The problem is the seat mounting points are tack welded at only two points.  These should be welded all around.  I had it welded after the first one broke loose.   Also I have DirtBagz side racks and they provide addition support to the rear mounting points.  I usually carry only a 1 gallon RotoPax fuel container on the rear rack, but it should hold more.  The Pro-Moto rack is very stiff and is made removing the seat a real pain.  So for now I removed the brackets form the seat pan, and hold the seat with a web strap.  I plan on making some brackets to D-Zus  fasteners for the seat.   Previously I had a Zuma rear rack but it had too many parts and tended to vibrate itself loose in spite of lots and lots of Loctite. 

Edited by CaptCapsize
  • Like 1

save yourself the headache. buy a used S subframe.

I;m in the same situation as you. I cant afford one now, but if I keep looking I may find one reasonable....

S subs seem to be pretty pricey.

You can see how the S has an aluminum perimeter that runs all the way back to the heavy light cluster and bulky fender extension.

The E (or K in this case) ends at the seat.

IMG_20160501_115018.jpg

• Like 1

Perfect this answers everything. Thanks guys! Now I need to find an s subframe I guess

An S sub-frame would be simpler.   I had already built a lightweight brake light and turn signal assembly for my E.   That and I am too cheap :rolleyes:.

I think the exhaust mounting is different on the S vs the E sub-frame.  It may need a bracket or foot peg mount, or something. 

1 hour ago, CaptCapsize said:

I think the exhaust mounting is different on the S vs the E sub-frame.  It may need a bracket or foot peg mount, or something. 

Yes, you are right. It needs a small modification there too.

• Like 1

I ran an E exhaust on a S subframe for many years.. It would not be too hard to fab a few simple sheet metal brackets to run the S exhaust on the E subframe.

• Like 1