Stock exhaust/Spark Arrestor for 2009 400S

Sorry to be such a neophyte, but cannot seem to find the information I need. Thought someone here would take pity on an idiot. I am traveling to TN and NC with the bike and a friend down there says that NC requires a spark arrestor form my bike. I have the stock muffler so I went to the OEM parts guide on line(multiple sites) and the page for the muffler does not list an arrestor. 

Does any one know if the 2009 came stock with an arrestor? If so, what should I look for on the bike? If not, does anyone know if one is made for this bike? I find it hard to believe that a dirt bike/dual sport manufacture would not include it as many states  and the forestry service require them. Still the fact that it is not on the OEM site is confusing. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Can't say for sure if there is a spark arrestor in the stock muffler.  I rode a poker run last summer that required one and they used a stick to check. They checked mine and let me ride the event so I assume there was something in there acting to stop sparks.  

Just take a pic of your muffler. You can add one if you don't have it.

Edited by HansLanda

If you take the three bolts off the mufflers end cap and remove it, there should be a spark arrestor attached to it. There's one on my Es' stock muffler, it's the size of a small juice can and is screened, if it's black with carbon you use a soft wire brush to clean it

Thanks all. I did a bit more research as I have motorcycles on the brain waiting for the weather to warm up. Found a picture of what it should look like on the internet and will remove the screws and see what I can see this weekend. Hopefully it is there if not, hopefully I can find one. 

I do appreciate the help.

rustynut2,

Up near Chicago. We will be down there the week of May 15th. Bringing the dirt bikes and our road bikes. Most likely Tuesday will be the big dirt day. Part of Wednesday and then up to Townsend with our big group. Attached is what we have mapped out so far. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 4.34.07 PM.png

Thanks for all replies. I pulled the exhaust cap and the spark arrester is intact and looking good. 

• Like 1

rustynut2,

Yes, have seen that route. Would love to do it but splitting this ride up between road and dirt. On the list. Also looking to do TWAT sometime soon but want to try to avoid the southern part which is a lot of asphalt. 

rustynut2,

Up near Chicago. We will be down there the week of May 15th. Bringing the dirt bikes and our road bikes. Most likely Tuesday will be the big dirt day. Part of Wednesday and then up to Townsend with our big group. Attached is what we have mapped out so far.