Fuel injection diagnosis, understanding and seminars in Australia

Hi

I have been working with motocross bikes on and off for around 15 years, I have built lots of engines and worked for a Suzuki team around 10 years ago before efi became popular in motocross.

I am considering starting a workshop in the Brisbane region of Australia but my concern is lack of knowledge regarding electrics and efi systems. I have a basic understanding of how efi systems work but I would like to find out a little more. 

My question is how can I gain more knowledge on fuel systems from various manufacturers?

I would also like to know if there is an on board diagnosis tool I can buy that works with all manufacturers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Advice on starting up for myself would be greatly appreciated too if anyone knows about setting up a business, particularly in Australia. 

Thanks in advance 

Ben

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

There are only thee systems for all bike brands:

Mikuni

Keihin (most common)

Syneject

Each bike brand offers one or two levels of entry into the ecu using UST or DST ( user or dealer service tool).

Thanks and do you know how to get hold of these tools? Are they leads that use a program to access the ecu or do you have to buy a complete unit. Do you know how to get hold of these tools? Is it only the manufacturers that sell the tools or are there aftermarket programs/tools etc? 

1 hour ago, Be.St.MX said:

Thanks 

Thanks and do you know how to get hold of these tools? Are they leads that use a program to access the ecu or do you have to buy a complete unit. Do you know how to get hold of these tools? Is it only the manufacturers that sell the tools or are there aftermarket programs/tools etc? 

KTM sells the UST at their store

Yamaha sells the GYTR tuner at thier store, but it is a 'mapper' not a 'tuner'. Tuners are for dealer only.

Honda sells a basic system at their store (PGM-FI). The 'tuner' system is for dealers only.

Beta does not sell their BST systems to end users.

Kawasaki does not sell their system to end users. They use a 'plug' system, with optional maps.

KTM's Keihin system tuner, the UST,  is the easiest to get and is very comprehensive.

Every brand of tuner is designed to work with it's brand ONLY, and typically with a limited range of models too. 

There is also Dynatek, Vortex, and Dynojet (and many other) brands of outboard replacement ECU's with their own software, and piggy-back tuners too.

To be honest with you, if you do not already have a working knowledge of MC FI systems, you should hold off on opening any shops... for at least a couple years, as you are way behind the curve.

• Like 1

I have a basic understanding of the efi system. It's basically a fuel pump and injector with with sensors like temp, throttle position and tip over that control the flow or rather alter the tolerance on the map for different conditions. Not really that difficult to understand. I'm not particularly interested in the tuning side of things more the diagnostic side. Is there a programme that can be used to read fault codes like on a car?

Edited by Be.St.MX