Kx85 skid plate

I was wondering what's the best skid plate for a 03 kx85 I am mostly gonna be doing track riding but I also am gonna be doing trail riding. I saw a msr skid plate but it was kinda expensive and was looking for a cheaper plastic one any recommendations?

Edited by Damien_Kawasaki

Buy a cutting board and some properly sized conduit clamps. Cut the board to the shape of the outside of the frame, use heat to bend it, the clamps to hold it on. Total cost is about $15~$20. If you take care when cutting and make sure to board touches the frame it will last you quite some time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 6 Riders said:

Buy a cutting board and some properly sized conduit clamps. Cut the board to the shape of the outside of the frame, use heat to bend it, the clamps to hold it on. Total cost is about $15~$20. If you take care when cutting and make sure to board touches the frame it will last you quite some time.

Do I really need one though?

Do I really need one though?

At the very least you should get a glide plate. What's the difference? Skid plates are usually more substantial and often protect more than just the engine and frame rails.

A glide plate covers the bottom of the engine and frame rails. It serves the purpose of making the bottom of the bike smooth and flat to lessen the possibility of a crash in the event you case a jump. Instead of the frame rails digging into the dirt, stopping most forward momentum and throwing you over the bars, it is more likely to "glide" off the peak.

On 3/28/2017 at 3:39 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

At the very least you should get a glide plate. What's the difference? Skid plates are usually more substantial and often protect more than just the engine and frame rails.

A glide plate covers the bottom of the engine and frame rails. It serves the purpose of making the bottom of the bike smooth and flat to lessen the possibility of a crash in the event you case a jump. Instead of the frame rails digging into the dirt, stopping most forward momentum and throwing you over the bars, it is more likely to "glide" off the peak.

So would a glide plate work if I am gonna be doing easy trails and mostly track?

Edited by Damien_Kawasaki

1 hour ago, Damien_Kawasaki said:

So would a glide plate work if I am gonna be doing easy trails and mostly track?

Yes, it will work just fine.