make clutch easy??

Hey

So I am trying to figure out how to make the clutch easier to pull.

I looked into a recluse clutch but they dont make one for the xr.   Does any one have any ways to make the pull easier??

Been having some forearm issues and my clutch is pretty stiff.

Edited by Gixer007

+1 on the Raptor lever.  I have had one on my bike for quite a few years now.  With bark busters it protects it and i have not broke it yet.  I set mine on the easiest pull location and it works just fine.  Definitely reduces the pull. The moose unit is much bigger, and basically does the same thing.  Only advantage to it is that you can use the stock lever, or any lever/perch combo of your choosing and still have the same result.

Unfortunately for the XR these are about your only options.  You may be able to round up an old revloc auto clutch, but that's a long shot and will be expensive. The raptor lever is your cheapest option.  

I saw one somewhere that had been converted over to a hydraulic clutch. They made a bracket for the slave cylinder and used a master cylinder from another brand bike(KTM).

Thanks for the info.

I must be a moron because I did a search and didn't find any thing.

LOL

54 minutes ago, cpetz24 said:

+1 on the Raptor lever.  I have had one on my bike for quite a few years now.  With bark busters it protects it and i have not broke it yet.  I set mine on the easiest pull location and it works just fine.  Definitely reduces the pull. The moose unit is much bigger, and basically does the same thing.  Only advantage to it is that you can use the stock lever, or any lever/perch combo of your choosing and still have the same result.

Unfortunately for the XR these are about your only options.  You may be able to round up an old revloc auto clutch, but that's a long shot and will be expensive. The raptor lever is your cheapest option.  

So I need a different mount with the Raptor lever?

Make sure your clutch cable is routed correctly and that it is cleaned and lubed,  that your perch and lever are clean and lubed, sometimes the simple fixes are the easiest and cheapest. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gixer007 said:

So I need a different mount with the Raptor lever?

The raptor kit comes with lever and perch.  You cannot just use the lever in the stock perch.  Should run you < $60

i can highly recommend a hydraulic conversion. I have one on my XR400, not cheap but worth every penny when skipping though the woods.

I have a Magura, you will like me most likely struggle to find an XR400 specific one around now, but i bought off ebay one for another bike and simply bent the supplied bracket to fit. I can post a picture later. It was a doddle. Most arm movements require 1cm of throw.

I bought one of these for my 8 year old JR80 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8-Universal-Motorcycle-Hydraulic-Brake-Clutch-Lever-Master-Cylinder-w-cable-/152476397287?hash=item23804d2ee7:g:IOoAAOSw4A5YzN1z

At that price i have an entire spare in the spares box, but its been going strong for a while now. Not sure i'd put that on an XR for serious use but you could try, converting back to cable is a 10 minute job.

a good clean, well lubed cable and a lever with a ball bearing for a pivot. butter smooth, and easy pull. My WR450 actually has a stock type cable, and ball bearing pivot lever. easier pull than the Magura that is on another bike we have. I have heard good things about the Raptor lever as well.

21 hours ago, Tryingoutdirt said:

Make sure your clutch cable is routed correctly and that it is cleaned and lubed,  that your perch and lever are clean and lubed, sometimes the simple fixes are the easiest and cheapest. 

This^^  The clutch on my XR250R is a fairly light pull, I keep the cable lubed and routed properly.  Don't forget to lube where the ball goes into the lever.  I use graphite there.

• Like 1