Oil Dipstick Length vs. Capacity

Anyone know how much oil it takes to go from the bottom of the dipstick to the top mark? How important is it to keep it close to the top or just somewhere in the middle?

Example: On my KLR650 it's roughly .5 quarts to go from the bottom of the oil sight class to the top, and I'd like a similar frame of reference for the 650L

Thanks!

Half a quart is close enough.  I won't bother putting more oil in there until it gets down to the halfway point, but since the rebuild on my bike, it won't use that much in the two thousand miles between oil changes.

Before the rebuild, I didn't check it as regularly as I should and ran the thing out of oil.  Costly mistake on my part.

This subject has come up before and I've challenged those who want to know to drain enough oil to get it down to the bottom, then measure how much it takes to get to the top again.  Then we'll all know.  Nobody has been interested enough to actually do that yet. ?

Figure 0.5 to 0.75 quart.
The defects in the frame internals will vary the volume.
For instance, I've commented on here that my L holds 3.0 quarts of oil and some people say I'm full of it. I keep mine at the top period, checked before every ride, tire pressure as well...
The real answer is ...
Who cares.
Keep it full and ride as much as you can.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

And check it hot , immediately after shut down.

I haven't noticed any difference at all between hot or cold on my bike.  Mine doesn't leak any oil back into the crankcase like an engine with more wear, so I get the same reading even after it has sat for a week.

It's safe to check the oil cold to see that you DON'T need more oil, but if it's down, I would run the engine for a few minutes, then let it sit for a few more before checking again, just to be sure.

?    There's absolutely no reason what so ever to wait to check the oil after shutting off the motor on a dry sump engine. The oil is exactly where it's supposed to be , just like when it's running. On a wet sump engine , sure ,  the oil drains into the crankcase where the dipstick is and by the time you pull out the dipstick the oil is down there , NOT minutes later. You guys need to learn how these motors actually work BEFORE you try answering someones questions.    :lame:

• Like 1

Just now, notminimalist said:

Joe, is the system sensitive to a change in pressure when you remove the dipstick? I'm pretty unfamiliar with how the dry sump system in a 650L works, but does it move more or less oil into the frame tank if I remove the dipstick while it's running?

No change , dipstick in or out. For the simple fact that all of these bikes eventually start to have drainback into the crankcase with the motor off , I check my oil with the motor running. That's when you know for sure the oil is all exactly where it should be , in the oil tank , not the crankcase. This is why many people over fill their oil on these. It will lightly puff air out the hole , but that's it. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

?    There's absolutely no reason what so ever to wait to check the oil after shutting off the motor on a dry sump engine. The oil is exactly where it's supposed to be , just like when it's running. On a wet sump engine , sure ,  the oil drains into the crankcase where the dipstick is and by the time you pull out the dipstick the oil is down there , NOT minutes later. You guys need to learn how these motors actually work BEFORE you try answering someones questions.    :lame:

I wish we could get a "stickie" on the front of our forum on how to check the oil on these bikes........?  man we have to answer this every week..

very,,,FEW  people have a clue on the oiling system on these bikes,,,if you told them it actually had 2 separate curcuits on the pump,,that 1 lubes the trans and returns oil to the reservoir...and the other is the only supply to the oil filter and lubes the crank and head they`d contest it..happens all the time here..

check your bloody oil after each ride,,standing up straight......running or immediately after shut down,,,top it up then.......and the next tim you freekin go for a ride the oil is full,,run the freekin thing...unless there is a huge puddle of oil under your bike then the oil is full..

never seen an engine burn oil when shut off yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B

• Like 5

12 hours ago, brianhare said:

check your bloody oil after each ride,,standing up straight......running or immediately after shut down,,,top it up then.......and the next tim you freekin go for a ride the oil is full,,run the freekin thing...unless there is a huge puddle of oil under your bike then the oil is full.

Brian, you're just full of good ideas.  I'll start doing that with my KTM, which is much trickier to check the oil on than the XR.

I'm missing the good old days with other bikes where you just looked at a sight glass on the side.

34 minutes ago, ScottRNelson said:

Brian, you're just full of good ideas.  I'll start doing that with my KTM, which is much trickier to check the oil on than the XR.

I'm missing the good old days with other bikes where you just looked at a sight glass on the side.

Put a sight tube on the XR.

Edited by JoeRC51

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2017 at 6:16 PM, JoeRC51 said:

No change , dipstick in or out. For the simple fact that all of these bikes eventually start to have drainback into the crankcase with the motor off , I check my oil with the motor running. That's when you know for sure the oil is all exactly where it should be , in the oil tank , not the crankcase. This is why many people over fill their oil on these. It will lightly puff air out the hole , but that's it. 

I check mine idling as well.

I like to be sitting on the bike holding it straight up. After i ride someplace and have stopped I take out the dipstick and wipe it on a kleenex or even my pants, just drop it in but not screwed in...take it back out and look at the oil level.

When it gets down to about halfway between add and full I change the oil when I get home.

Not scientific I know...but using about half the oil or about a quarter of a liters worth was usually around 3,000 kms aka 2,000 miles so i just changed it. Good reminder to change the oil for my forgetful old brain.