Quieter Exhaust for 2017 Beta 390

I stopped by my Beta dealer today to help make my mind up that I want to BYOB a 2017 390RS.  He had a 480, or whatever the most recent bike above 450 cc is, and I asked him to fire it up.  At max revs the bike is a little loud so I thought I would see if anyone here knows of a quieter muffler for the bike.  It isn't a deal killer but I was a little disappointed to hear hit that many db.

NC

2 hours ago, danketchpel said:

Honestly when I'm riding my 500 I think the intake makes more noise than the stock exhaust.

I have to agree with that, was surprised by the intake honk compared to my 525EXC. Just happy there are no reeds in there to remove.

Bruce

It quiet down after the engine breaks in. I recall my 390 being quite barky when new, but things have quieted down now.

• Like 1

I was wondering about this for the 500 RR-S.  It definitely barks and will make night-riding and "exploring" a little more challenging.  

With the end can/silencer as big as it is, I would have expected quieter but then again, as others have mentioned, it could be the intake.  

I can also see the motor actually quieting down once it breaks in some more.  No matter what, the bike is simply awesome and I only have like 1.5 hours and 32 miles on it, all street.  I can only imagine the animal it will be on the dirt.  

On 3/23/2017 at 5:40 PM, motoxgiant said:

There is an FMF Q4 available. Decent power gain with the dedicated mapping as well.

Would you say the FMF Q4 is noticeably quieter?  Would this be with or without the quite core insert?  It would be nice to at least not LOSE any power if I go with but a gain would be nice as well.

NC

Edited by NumberCruncher
Correct context.

33 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

Would you say the FMF Q4 is noticeably quieter?  Would this be with or without the quite core insert?  It would be nice to at least not LOSE any power if I go with but a gain would be nice as well.

NC

I have the Q4 on my 350 and will move it to my 390 soon.  Without the insert it is much louder than stock, can't remember if I even ran it with the insert but I'm guessing it's not any quieter than stock.  There is more power everywhere with the Q4 and the FMF map loaded.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Danceswithtrees said:

I have the Q4 on my 350 and will move it to my 390 soon.  Without the insert it is much louder than stock, can't remember if I even ran it with the insert but I'm guessing it's not any quieter than stock.  There is more power everywhere with the Q4 and the FMF map loaded.

Unfortunately I do not find your assessment hard to believe.  There just aren't any really quiet mufflers on the market at all right now.  I emailed FMF about the Q4 as their website doesn't show one for the 390.  I would have thought the unit for the 350 would have fit but here is what FMF said to me:

Thank you for your email we appreciate your business. The machine has changed from the 350 and we are currently working on fitment for new products on that machine. Once all testing is finished we will list the machines on our site. Till then we will not have anything for that machine. For any further questions please contact us at the number below or via email. 

Let us know if it moves right over.  I think it should as the 350 and 390 are identical save bore and stroke but if you happen to swap them out and can post back, you can save me $350 if for some reason it doesn't fit.

NC

6 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

Unfortunately I do not find your assessment hard to believe.  There just aren't any really quiet mufflers on the market at all right now.  I emailed FMF about the Q4 as their website doesn't show one for the 390.  I would have thought the unit for the 350 would have fit but here is what FMF said to me:

Thank you for your email we appreciate your business. The machine has changed from the 350 and we are currently working on fitment for new products on that machine. Once all testing is finished we will list the machines on our site. Till then we will not have anything for that machine. For any further questions please contact us at the number below or via email. 

Let us know if it moves right over.  I think it should as the 350 and 390 are identical save bore and stroke but if you happen to swap them out and can post back, you can save me $350 if for some reason it doesn't fit.

NC

The mufflers are the same for all the Beta fourstrokes. 

The 350 just has a different header pipe than the other sizes.

i don't think you'll find a more quite exhaust than the stocker. 

• Like 1

They are all tested at 1800 rpm and 3800 rpm.   At 8000 rpm, they are all  loud.  

A Procircuit T4 is 10 db louder than a T6 which is 5 db louder than a Q4, which is 2 db louder than stock.......AT 3800 RPM. At Idle, the Q4 is quieter.....but FMF pipes are tuned to a lower frequency, so the sound carries much farther. Your hearing becomes more sensitive as the exhuast frequecy rises, so two pipes both measuring at 90 can sound completely different.

You will NEVER be riding at max rpm unless you are a racer.

Q4 is the quietest at idle for a 'standard' type pipe.  You can order an Arrow or Spark exhuast from Italy which comes with several options for quiet inserts.

You can add 'quiet inserts' (diameter reducers) to almost any pipe, if you want it quieter, but it will drastically affect throttle response.

Edited by Krannie McKranface
  • Like 1

I find my 350 rather quiet. I wear a kali cf helmet that does not dampen any sound. On my 525exc/sx I have worn foam earplugs when running fast trails due to the helmet. On the beta, I don't need them and I can hear other bikes over mine. Actually, my buddy has a new FE350 and when he tries to pass or catch up I hear him coming and can crank up the speed before he gets close. Sitting in a showroom it sounds loud. Also sounds loud in a 1 car garage made of cinderblock. On the trail its very quiet..

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 10:46 AM, NumberCruncher said:

NC

Yes it moved right over.  Loaded the FMF +100 map with it.  First ride tomorrow can't wait!

0401172135_zpsyllzk8qm.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/1/2017 at 6:53 PM, Danceswithtrees said:

Yes it moved right over.  Loaded the FMF +100 map with it.  First ride tomorrow can't wait!

Let us know how it works out.

NC

On 4/1/2017 at 6:53 PM, Danceswithtrees said:

Hi, thread is a little old, but how did that FMF ailencer work out?

I'm shopping for a bike and wanted to to find out if:

1. It is neccessary to "uncork" the 500 RR-S for decent performance.

2. Does FMF make a silencer, if needed.

Thanks for your reply.

I have not found my 17 500 RR-S to be "corked" in any way.  It runs hard straight off the showroom floor.  

I have not found the bike to have quieted down at all but, and here comes the but, when tooling around and trying to be quiet, the bike is no louder, no, make that quieter, than any commercial lawn mower.  The bike is definitely loud at full-chat and I'll agree that the intake is probably louder than the exhaust at anything under 6-7,000 rpm.  

I also agree that I have gotten used to and have accepted the sound.  If there was a muffler that slips on, makes it quieter but doesn't lose power, I'd consider it but otherwise, I'm happy with the way it is.  

On 7/9/2017 at 10:44 AM, YZ Yankee said:

Hi, thread is a little old, but how did that FMF ailencer work out?

I'm shopping for a bike and wanted to to find out if:

1. It is neccessary to "uncork" the 500 RR-S for decent performance.

2. Does FMF make a silencer, if needed.

Thanks for your reply.

While the FMF website is not up to date, they make 2 mufflers  for the new 500RR-S AND they are the same P/N as for the older carbureted Betas such as my 450RS. 

Same Power-bomb header for most Beta's since 2010 also, I believe the only exception is the 350 header.....

Q4 is quiet and the Powercore 4 is noisy. The power bomb header helps scavenge more than some might think.

But the stock system is damn good!