How to whip/ scrub a dirtbike ?

Have faith in the bike. Mostly just leaning up the face. Have faith that your tires will grip and just lean hard over the side. Also jumps that shoot your higher rather than farther help. Floaters. IMG_0524.JPG

• Like 1

Have faith in the bike. Mostly just leaning up the face. Have faith that your tires will grip and just lean hard over the side. Also jumps that shoot your higher rather than farther help. Floaters. IMG_0524.JPG

How about to return the bike?

How about to return the bike?

Natural motion(inertia) and Rpms from the rear wheel straighten the bike out.
  • Like 1

Natural motion(inertia) and Rpms from the rear wheel straighten the bike out.

Is there an easier side to whip. Left or right?
Or it doesn't matters

Is there an easier side to whip. Left or right?
Or it doesn't matters

It's all rider preference lol
  • Like 1

Let me preface this post by saying I cannot whip. The attached photo shows my best attempt ever at a whip so take my advice with a grain of salt. Find a jump that you would like to whip off of and start by just hitting it over and over normally until you are comfortable. Don't ride the whole track, just hit the jump, loop around and do it again. Once you are comfortable with the jump start to turn your bars a little bit before your front wheel leaves the face of the jump. Just keep doing that over and over until you feel comfortable and when you do turn the bars a bit more. Take it slow because as you would imagine the consequences for screwing up will hurt. In the attached picture I was turning my bars slightly to the right on the face of the jump which much to my surprise was also sending the back end of the bike to the right. Confidence is also key. I was feeling really on point on this particular day and said to myself "I am going to do a whip today" and just kept trying until I got it. Many of the first attempts were just some bug swag I stead of the bike moving but I eventually managed to eek out a few baby whips like the one attached. Good luck!FB_IMG_1490319412886.jpg

Don't turn the bars going up the face. That's for scrubbing. Whipping you lean off the side and turn the bars away from the way you lean. I attached photo kinda frame by frame so you'll know what I mean IMG_0510.JPGIMG_0457.JPGIMG_0524.JPGIMG_0523.JPGIMG_0526.JPG

Don't turn the bars going up the face. That's for scrubbing. Whipping you lean off the side and turn the bars away from the way you lean. I attached photo kinda frame by frame so you'll know what I mean IMG_0510.JPGIMG_0457.JPGIMG_0524.JPGIMG_0523.JPGIMG_0526.JPG

What track is that?

OK. I still consider myself a beginner. Now that being said, let's see how much I get chastised this time LoL.

So I recently got 2017 CRF450R, upgrading from my 2015 CRF250R. I'm really liking (understatement) it so far. I find the engine tork can really affect the bike much more in the air than the 250. A small blip of the throttle will bring the front up while jumping; the 250 nowhere near as much. Also a lot easier to loft the front tire on the 450... but I'm also so happy I started with a 250...

Anyways, there is this one left hand hairpin turn right into a small double. When I go at the double aggressively, the back end kicks out to the right. I've learnt to correct it so now I pretty much do that on purpose.  I've come to realize that I'm still leaned to the left but since I'm trying to correct back to the right while going off the jump so I'm steering right a bit. I think I effectively got a little bit of a whip going on. Now here's the part where I might get blasted (LoL): can I consider this a beginner level whip?

I'm going to have to setup my goPro in that corner and get some video of myself. I might just be happy with what I see going on.

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN
  • Like 1

GDBn.... I sometimes feel like im throwing huge whips.... and then i ask a buddy who was riding behind how it looked.... i usually get a puzzled " what u talkin' bout Willis?"  But if i can fell like im doing something im all good with it.... ?

Edited by absurd
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, absurd said:

GDBn.... I sometimes feel like im throwing huge whips.... and then i ask a buddy who was riding behind how it looked.... i usually get a puzzled " what u talkin' bout Willis?"  But if i can fell like im doing something im all good with it.... ?

Yup, I pretty good about being happy with my delusions of grandeur too.

As I tell people: please leave me alone with my delusions, I quite happy with them!

• Like 2

On 3/23/2017 at 6:39 PM, Alex_3401 said:

What are some useful techniques to learn how to whip or scrub?

Here's some info on Scrubbing.  First you should learn how to "Absorb" a jump before working on "Scrubbing" a jump. In order to Absorb a jump you stand tall (just before your knees lock) on the pegs while approaching the jump,. Continue standing tall as the bike loads into the compression part of the jump. Then as the suspension begins to rebound flex in your knees and elbows which allows the bike to come up under you, hence absorb. This also happens when Scrubbing but there are 3 more things going on.

Only smooth faced jumps can be scrubbed, not jumps that are soft, rutted or real tacky. This is because the front and rear tires have to slide off the jump. In order to do this you have to lean the bike over as you are going up the jump. The sooner you lean it the better but this also ups the difficulty level. Keep your body position tall, just before your knees lock, as you lean the bike going up the jump. Then at the top of the jump drop your body position in order to absorb the take off. Always drop your body to the opposite side of the way the bike is leaning. Example: if you're leaning to the right you would turn the handlebars to the right and drop your body to the left.

This is a very advanced move so start off very easy. If you really want to learn how get my Volume 3 DVD #8 DVD or Stream (Absorbing, Scrubbing and Whipping Jumping Techniques). See free preview before you order the DVD or Stream. 

Scrub good one.jpg

Edited by Gary Semics

The whip will come to you the more you ride.. I'm just starting to do little whips. I put a lot of time into researching te whip it helps a little but not as much as more seat time. At first I felt that whiping to the right would be the easiest for me so I focused on trying to whip to the right and wasn't having much luck. All of a sudden without putting much effort into it im whiping to the left lol and it's more of a natural feel for me. So I'm just focusing on getting the bike out more and more each practice I go to. Once I got the feel for it and I'm confident I'll start whiping to the right. Lol

• Like 1