2003 versus 2006 forks

Been looking for forks for my 06 project then started looking at my 03 forks as a possible option.

If I buy off ebay, chances are I will have to have them revalved and re sprung so that's not an issue.

They'll fit in my 08 triples so no problem there.

The only issues I know of is that they pulled the axle lugs back 2mm in 05 and I think at some point Honda shortened the forks.

Since I have 08 triples thanks to mrmoto35 and they're 22mm offset that would nullify the lug issue and I could pull the tubes up in the clamps so that's not a big deal.

Can you'all think of any reason I can't use these?

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 6:50 PM, HRC27 said:

Been looking finr forks for my 06 project then started looking at my 03 forks as a possible option.

If I buy off ebay, chances are I will have to have them revalved and re sprung so that's not an issue.

They'll fit in my 08 triples so no problem there.

The only issues I know of is that they pulled the axle lugs back 2mm in 05 and I think at some point Honda shortened the forks.

Since I have 08 triples thanks to mrmoto35 and they're 22mm offset that would nullify the lug issue and I could pull the tubes up in the clamps so that's not a big deal.

Can you'all think of any reason I can't use these?

They'll be fine with the changes you mention. Just run them 7mm up In the clamps.

AFAIR caliper mount is different on 02-03 forks.  Just need a bracket from that year.  Geometry is slightly different too.

Used forks are so cheap these days I don't know why would you bother though, unless you just happen to have older set for next to nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dakh said:

AFAIR caliper mount is different on 02-03 forks.  Just need a bracket from that year.  Geometry is slightly different too.

Used forks are so cheap these days I don't know why would you bother though, unless you just happen to have older set for next to nothing.

The front brakes I'm using are off my 03 so that'll be fine.  Yeah, just want to use them as they came off my 03 that I'm parting out* and they're sitting in my garage.  I'm a picky butt and don't want to buy another set of pitted forks.  I'll have to get these re-anodized and I'll be good.  The lowers, lugs and caps are good.  

* well, parts are sitting on ebay but pretty much not selling