torn popliteus muscle

Hi, I'm a new member to the forum and ran across this section so I thought I would ask. I've had a partialy torn popliteus muscle in my right knee for nine months and I've been struggling to live a somewhat normal life. I twisted my knee last July and the pain and catching just continued to increase until I had a knee scope done in November (several Dr. visits and an MRI in August were accomplished). The scope didn't provide any relief so another MRI was done and another scope was done 60 days after the first. This MRI still showed a tear in the popliteus. This time the knee was aggressively debrided and that removed the catching but the Dr. didn't assess the muscle while he was in there. There was no meniscus tear and the bones and ligaments looked good but there was a large amount of foreign material that was removed. The doc. thought it could be PVNS but the tests came back that the material was caused by inflammation resembling a couple types of arthritis. I've been carrying most of my weight on my left leg and now recently in the last two weeks my left knee had a large effusion in it (almost couldn't walk). I went back into my ortho doc. 11 days ago where he drained the fluid from my left knee and gave a cortisone shot into both knees. As I write this my left knee again today has continued to swell and at this rate I'm concerned I'll be struggling to walk again tomorrow. From the first couple weeks after twisting my right knee I haven't been able to straighten my right leg and that still continues today. If my right knee is bent for more than 30 minutes (sitting) when I try to straighten my leg to stand it feels like I'm being stabbed with a hot knife in the back outside of my knee for a few minutes and I'm unable to put weight on it until that stops. I'm assuming this is where the tear is at which is where the muscle attaches to the tendon.  I saw a rheumatologist and he's not sure what to do. The biopsy has red flags for arthritis but he says an injury cant cause my problems and wont treat me. The ortho Dr. is stumped also and I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas? 

When you take a weight bearing X-ray, the answer will be apparent.

Arthritis and/or deformity.  The answer is staring your in the face.

What part of the world are you from?

Edited by DrMark