Setting up 2006 yz450f for woods

Aside from some bark busters, and a larger fuel tank and a good skid plate, what are some good adjustments to make?

I keep seeing 13/51 gearing, but it always seems to be for newer bikes. Would that apply to a 06 as well?

Also I'm running engine ice, but occasionally run pretty hot on single track, and the thicker stuff (under 10mph). Is a higher pressure radiator cap my only option? Or are there any good after market over sized radiators, or fans?

Thanks!

I currently have an 06 YZ450 that is only woods ridden. I have never had a problem with overheating on single track, I just try real hard to keep moving. 

Here are some of the add ons that I have that have made it a pretty good woods bike.  I don't really have any complaints, the bike is a little jumpy in the real tight stuff but it makes up for it when the trail or hills open up and you can use the power. 

• WR tank - slighly larger with a reserve fuel valve
  • Rekluse z-start pro (with custom clutch pack - thanks to Grayracers advise)
  • GYTR weighted flywheel
  • 13/51 gearing
  • Race tech springs and valving front and rear for my weight and enduro use
  • Cycra probend handguards
  • enduro engineering full aluminium skid plate
  • 18 inch rear wheel
  • Enduro engineering kick stand

Next on the list to add would be a larger fuel tank, currently the tank I have fits 90% of my needs but for longer Enduro races I want to not have to worry about stopping for gas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grayracer513 said:

You like how that works out, do you? ?

Is that already in a post.  (I just started riding with the low end Rekluse last fall.  Like it ok.)  My son has the zstart on a cr250r.   We both always like to know what others do. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 4:50 PM, i_slam_cougars said:

Aside from some bark busters, and a larger fuel tank and a good skid plate , what are some good adjustments to make?

I keep seeing 13/51 gearing, but it always seems to be for newer bikes. Would that apply to a 06 as well?

Also I'm running engine ice , but occasionally run pretty hot on single track, and the thicker stuff (under 10mph). Is a higher pressure radiator cap my only option? Or are there any good after market over sized radiators, or fans?

Thanks!

You get lots of 'input' on radiator caps:   I would first have yours checked if you are curious.   If it is 11 years old it may not be holding stock pressure.  From there,  picking up one for a wr may be an idea.   If you can hold the coolant that way,  it is probably the only change you will need to make.  Coolant on the ground,  or a cylinder that has air and steam trying to cool it is of course what you are trying to prevent.  

Depends on what kind of woods you ride.  I tried hard to get my 06 to be a good woods bike, it was often close but never perfect.  It was better in the more open, flowy woods than the tight stuff we have at home.  I had the GYTR flywheel, larger tank, handguards, lower gearing, and revalved suspension (twice) and it just never was at home.  My 450FX is better off the showroom floor than the 06 I spent a lot of time and money to try and dial in.

YMMV, if you're in more open country then you might be grinning from ear to ear.  If you ride tighter stuff, you might not like it much.

Almost forgot... I only overheated my 06 once, on a hot September day riding technical single track after over a year hiatus in the saddle due to a broken back.

Edited by cowboyona426

30 minutes ago, ossagp said:

Is that already in a post.  (I just started riding with the low end Rekluse last fall.  Like it ok.)  My son has the zstart on a cr250r.   We both always like to know what others do. 

Here is the post - 

It essentially using fibers from an R1 in place of some of the stock 450 fibers. Really only applies YZ450s in this case specifically 06-09. I had the original low end Rekluse and replaced it when my clutch wore out. Went to the z-start pro with the customer pack and am way happier, once you get used to the limp clutch lever at idle the feel of the z-start is worlds better than the standard EXP, I am sure the EXP core would also work well but it is a bit more money than the z-start and causes you to run less plates. The new Radius system helps with that but was not available  for my bike at the time I bought my Z start. 

When you say you like it ok, not you love it, why is that? just curious. 

27 minutes ago, ossagp said:

I can tell you what I used, but it won't help you with the Honda.  A sponsor of mine sent me a plate kit for my '06.  Since I was using a Z-Start Pro, with Rekluse's proprietary steels, all I asked for was 8 new 5TA-16321-00-00 friction plates for a YZ450F.  The parts guy who thought he knew better than anyone sent me a complete clutch kit for a YFZ450 (quad) instead, which included a set of steels and clutch springs I couldn't use, two 5TA plates, and 6 that I'd never heard of before that were physically the same form and overall size, labeled 5VY-16321-00-00.  When I ran the part number back, these plates were made for use in the R1.  After asking around a bit, I decided to run with them as shown in the quad parts break down: 5TA top and bottom of the stack, and the 5VY's in the middle.  Best clutch I ever had in the bike.

• Like 2