2018 Yamaha Yz First Look

I sure hope that's the bike that we actually get. However I am concerned that the estart will make it heavier....

19 hours ago, Wrfrk said:

I sure hope that's the bike that we actually get. However I am concerned that the estart will make it heavier....

With the removal of the kick start assembly, gears, and case area it should only add a couple pounds net in the end, assuming they use a Lithium Ion battery like KTM and Honda.  I would assume Yamaha has also found some other areas to shave weight.

I'm really excited to hear official details and reviews of this bike. I really like how the airbox/shroud is more like the Cycra/JGR design on the 14-17. I hated the OEM set-up. Plus, that new frame looks nice and less bulky.

I'm really excited to hear official details and reviews of this bike. I really like how the airbox/shroud is more like the Cycra/JGR design on the 14-17. I hated the OEM set-up. Plus, that new frame looks nice and less bulky.

Seems the airbox lid is higher then the 14-17.
  • Like 1

The radiator mounts on each side of the frame have to be 3/4 to 1 inch long. It should be pretty easy for them to cut atleast 1/2 inch width on both sides. Other manufacturers radiator mounts are a lot slimmer.
  • Like 1

The radiator mounts on each side of the frame have to be 3/4 to 1 inch long. It should be pretty easy for them to cut atleast 1/2 inch width on both sides. Other manufacturers radiator mounts are a lot slimmer.

I must be the right height or something, the bike feels really slim in the middle, not huge at radiator....never bothered me at all.
  • Like 1

Tomorrow's the day gentlemen. I'm hearing June 12th is the day Yamaha is going to announce the new models.

• Like 2

Very interested to see how it corners! Looks like they did alot to improve cornering and handling.

Is the motor more powerful or just more manageable?

Yikes! those blue rims are polarizing. I am not a fan at all, but I am sure some will like them.

Also, surprised the design team was allowed to use the light blue on the white model. Coming from a company that wouldn't let riders wear anything but YamaBlue. A nice progression

Edited by savagex
  • Like 2

Wow, lot of changes with motor, suspension, and body styling to make it feel slimmer... Good job Yamaha!

Kinda a bummer, but the 450FX does not look like it has the new 450F changes. Not 100%, but from pictures seems to be the same.

Yamaha Rep comments:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RMK800 said:

Wow, lot of changes with motor, suspension, and body styling to make it feel slimmer... Good job Yamaha!

Kinda a bummer, but the 450FX does not look like it has the new 450F changes. Not 100%, but from pictures seems to be the same.

Yea that's the first thing I checked. Looks like the 450F is the only bike getting the updates. Hopefully next year. 

2018 shaves 2 lbs. in weight wet(245 vs. 247), but gas tank is also 0.3 gallons smaller...

Everything looking good except weight, 17 ktm still 8 pounds lighter
  • Like 1

I overheard an older gentleman at lunch today inquiring about the '18 and asked if his flip phone would be able to tune it. Now he has to get a smartphone which truly put a roadblock on the potential buy.

• Like 1