Spooge from Power Valve?

Hi Guys I've got a wr250zk 1998 that i've been bringing back from 8 year wet storage. I finally got out to ride it the other day and had an absolute blast. Obviously there's a few things that need attention. (Brakes, overflow fuel leakage, adjustemnts etc). I have never owned a 2 Stroke before so I'm learning along the way. Still it was a blast to ride!!!! When I stopped at the end of the day though I was looking over the bike to make sure nothing was loose etc and I saw some spooge leaking from above the water pump. Looks like there's some kind of rubber seal there. Should I be worried about this? If it needs fixing is it a difficult job. As always thanks for all the help. CheersWR250ZK - 1.jpg

Seal going out on the jug, see parts diagram to pick up a new one. It's not the ruber cover piece. I believe it is an O-ring, inside the cover. Not to hard to do. Replace during downtime.

Edited by Gary YZDOC
  • Like 1

Since it has been in storage, I would make sure the vent hose for the powervalve (on the the left hand side) is unobstructed. Pull it off and blow through it or blow compressed air through it. More than likely though, the powervalve shaft seal is bad. Not a bad job at all.

8 minutes ago, zeke383 said:

Since it has been in storage, I would make sure the vent hose for the powervalve (on the the left hand side) is unobstructed. Pull it off and blow through it or blow compressed air through it. More than likely though, the powervalve shaft seal is bad. Not a bad job at all.

Do not think there is a hose on this model. But then, my memory is not all up to snuff right now. PN. 93210-270A8-00 O-ring, 3.00 bucks

Thanks Garry,

So are you talking about the gasket that holds the cover on? I can't see any o-ring associated with the parts. No 32 in the image.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 1.21.12 pm.png

Sorry you replied while I was replying. So it's actually up above. So should I stop riding with it this way until fixed? or ride it till I can get around to sorting it out?

Thanks again.

13 minutes ago, Yam2Smoker said:

Thanks Garry,

So are you talking about the gasket that holds the cover on? I can't see any o-ring associated with the parts. No 32 in the image.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 1.21.12 pm.png

See #24 in same diagram

1 minute ago, Yam2Smoker said:

Sorry you replied while I was replying. So it's actually up above. So should I stop riding with it this way until fixed? or ride it till I can get around to sorting it out?

Thanks again.

Depending on how bad it is and/or gets. I wouldn't go puting 35-40 hours on it.

11 minutes ago, Yam2Smoker said:

Ok thanks very much for your help.

Probably find a top end gasket and seal kit that will cover all the gaskets and O-rings (just not the rubber seal on bottom of cover). ProX or Cometic comes to mind. 

Also, are you sure its not a 97? I thought the WR stopped then, but it could be US only. 

Edited by Gary YZDOC

Hey Gary,

The compliance plate actually says 99 but it's a 1998 wr250zk. Yamaha Dealers actually informed me it's an Australia only model brought in by some guy who complianced 500 of them.

Cheers

Guy

• Like 1