Adventure riding with the crf 250l

Hey everyone, I have a couple questions to do with me crf 250l not the rally. I am planning to go on a trip from BC Canada down to panigonia. I have to 250l right now totally stock and I need to know what I should do for exaust mods, power mods, things like that. I would like to be doing more highway type riding the way down. While in Mexico I will be doing some dirt road riding. But I need to know what I should do to upgrade the top speed, or do I not need to. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

I rode my LRP from Georgia to Puerto Natales Chili. Once you get about halfway through Mexico the CRF stock is more than enough bike. Speeds over 80kph are uncommon and you will find the bike one of the faster options on the road way. That being said I have the standard Stage 1 mods and found that about perfect for all the riding I did. As long as your running solo you won't need any thing more than the humble little Honda. The GS crowd will blow you away on the tar south of the border but if you ride the backroads and chose dirt routes you won't even see them. I hold the CRF250L in high esteem! It is an extremely capable, reliable dual sport touring machine. BTW, one of my most important mods was the Camel tank, that extra 6 liters of fuel is a life saver in Chile and Argentina where gas stops are far and few between.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cameron Kraushar said:

Thank you for the fast response. Do you have any power mods that I could consider adding?

Yeah like I said, I have the common stage 1 mods, 13T counter sprocket, EJK, Uni filter, and FMF Quiet Kore.  The best mod by far is the suspension, I have a CD adventure shock and the Race Tech front fork spring. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brntrt said:

Yeah like I said, I have the common stage 1 mods, 13T counter sprocket, EJK , Uni filter, and FMF Quiet Kore.  The best mod by far is the suspension, I have a CD adventure shock and the Race Tech front fork spring. 

Do you recomend the quiet kore over something like the q4 or the power core 4?

instead of going to a 13t front you're probably better off going with a 42 rear. a 43 would be an exact equivalent to 13 front. I say 42 because you'll get a better power than the stock and you're better off going up in the rear than down on the front. better for wear and tear on your chain and your drive. Plus will be slightly better for doing distance. I think considering the distance you want to do, comfort should be a factor. I've done TONS of mods from front and rear suspension to tank, baja screen, exhaust, ejk, seat, and more. I'm in coquitlam and if your nearby I'd be more than happy to meet up and show you what I've done and give you some good recommendations. Have done 14 hour days with this setup with 75% of it being off road too so I think it's a great bike.

• Like 1

oh... and also if you want a top 3 mods for your trip.

1. Acerbis tank

2. Aftermarket seat

3. Bajaworx Screen

of course if you've got the bucks then all the other stuff is awesome but in all reality, performance should not be the first priorities.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Markmcd said:

instead of going to a 13t front you're probably better off going with a 42 rear. a 43 would be an exact equivalent to 13 front. I say 42 because you'll get a better power than the stock and you're better off going up in the rear than down on the front. better for wear and tear on your chain and your drive. Plus will be slightly better for doing distance. I think considering the distance you want to do, comfort should be a factor. I've done TONS of mods from front and rear suspension to tank, baja screen, exhaust , ejk , seat, and more. I'm in coquitlam and if your nearby I'd be more than happy to meet up and show you what I've done and give you some good recommendations. Have done 14 hour days with this setup with 75% of it being off road too so I think it's a great bike.

Thanks for your input. Quick question on what exhaust you put on the bike. 

Possibly this summer some time 

Edited by Cameron Kraushar

1 minute ago, Cameron Kraushar said:

Thanks for your input. Quick question on what exhaust you put on the bike. 

Possibly this summer some time 

I've got the Yoshimura. It's not quiet so you'd probably want to wear earplugs. probably the same with most other aftermarket. One nice little thing about the Yoshi is that the exhaust point's the heat off angle away from your license plate. I had an FMF previously and it roasted my plate.

1 minute ago, Markmcd said:

I've got the Yoshimura. It's not quiet so you'd probably want to wear earplugs. probably the same with most other aftermarket. One nice little thing about the Yoshi is that the exhaust point's the heat off angle away from your license plate. I had an FMF previously and it roasted my plate.

What do you prefer for proformance? 

3 minutes ago, Cameron Kraushar said:

What do you prefer for proformance? 

they're both pretty similar. I think the FMF is a little quieter but I had problems with the MegaBomb header. You need to shield it or you'll melt your pants. you see more difference with messing with the EJK settings. I've got a 43t rear but if I was going to do your trip I'd go back to stock sprockets.

oh. and also if you go for exhaust, take out your air filter and tear of that metal screen that's attached to it. And if you're brave enough there's other airbox mods to do but that's a can of opinion worms. You have to think that if you're improving the exhaling you have to improve the inhaling.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 9:23 PM, Cameron Kraushar said:

Let me know what you guys think.

I am a big fan of the clutch upgrade we have put together and consider it a must have and one of my top mods  ... ?   

It may be time well spent if you read this whole thread ... just my 0.02 cents on the subject ... :goofy: 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gnath9 said:

I am a big fan of the clutch upgrade we have put together and consider it a must have and one of my top mods  ... ?   

It may be time well spent if you read this whole thread ... just my 0.02 cents on the subject ... :goofy: 

Thank you I will look into doing that!

• Like 1