Old bike, how to ensure reliability?

Hello all, this is my first post. I'm picking up a 1993 Honda xr200 soon and I'm going to be using it for trail riding and light enduro. I know these bikes are known for their reliability, but is there anything I should do to ensure this? I'm planning on replacing the rings eventually as it smokes a tiny tiny bit. I'm wondering about the timing chain, valves, etc. What should I do? Thanks for the input

dont waste your time of these bikes mate, i had a 93 and a 94, both broke down almost every ride and were always terrible to start. The suspension is soft and junky, the airbox intake is positioned in such a way that when you go through water the rear wheel flicks it straight into the airbox. If youre going to get an xr200 ive heard the 80s are supposed to be very good.

I'm not degrading your opinion and experiences, but that is not at all what I've heard from MANY other people. I have heard the suspension is bad, but I plan and changing that anyways. I've been told the 200 is a bulletproof motor by many many people. I'm buying the bike from a buddy of mine and can't back out of it now. I'm getting a great deal on it and I feel as though it is a good bike for me. I'm about 150 pounds and 5'8 or so. If something does go wrong, I can usually figure out how to fix it and use it as a learning experience. Thanks again for your input. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Those XR motors are almost bullet proof. They do wear out so the one you're looking at may need a rebuild.  If you do , do it right. Go thru the whole motor and replace anything that is worn or out of spec.  Once the motor is sound good over the rest of the bike. Wheel bearings,  chain and sprockets,  cables,  and seals. Plan on spending more money than you think or want to. You may need to spend more to fix the bike than what you payed for it.

Do not buy anything to make the  look better until it mechanically sound.

• Like 1