Virginia City Grand Prix?

Has anyone ever rode the Virginia City Grand Prix before?  How difficult is the course usually?

Looking at the various youtube videos it looks like a lot of fun, not that technical and a pretty easy ride.  Videos always tend to flatten a course out and make what is actually difficult look tame, so it is hard to gauge sometimes.  I'm thinking of riding it this year, i don't mind a difficult course but i also don't want to get in over my head.   I ride in northern California usually at Forest Hill, Stoneyford, Georgetown, sometimes Carnegie.  Tx

tons of loose rocks and a couple technical hills but ive seen way more technical stuff in normal desert races. I finished it last year and im just a novice desert racer. i think it was my 4th or 5th race. for the novice its usually a 3 hour race on about a 25 mile course. i dont know if you have raced before or your skill level, but i would say go for it. its an awesome experience starting on main street and everything. classic race.

Did it and finished it 2 years ago after riding dirt bikes for only 1 year. It was tough for me because of the lack of experience riding, but finished and had a great time doing it. Go for it, u won't regret it, they put on a great race, ill be back this year.

thanks for the responses, both of you have convinced me that i won't be getting in over my head.  The last competitive racing i did was 20+ years ago back east hare scrambles.  I stopped riding 14 years ago and only got back into 2 years ago. I've ridin a couple of family enduros in northern California since, they're not real competitive races and fairly short at 50 miles.   The way you describe it i think i would do fine and at least finish a couple of laps.

• Like 1

The course is usually pretty easy, just lotsa rocks that beat you down after awhile. I think the most technical section is Sutro canyon, even that really isn't hard. There is some bottlenecks the first lap on some of the hillclimbs...your starting order really determines this. If you're not pre-registered, you're going to start way back in the pack and eat a lot of dust the first lap.

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Like 1