Getting permission or persuading parents(DAD)to buy a bigger bike

So here's the deal I have been trying to persuade my parents to buy me a bigger bike as in a motocross or cross country bike for like 3 years now and I'm willing to buy it but they have many reasons as to why I shouldn't and how I live under there roof it's under there rules deal and my dads a CEO to be honest and he's good at talking me out of things but as you can see it doesn't seem to work to well with this sport as I am hooked on it  lol!So I got my first bike a 110 like 5 years ago but out grew it in a heart beat now stuck with a pit bike and I ride it and the next day I go to ride it again the tire is popped because I ride it to hard and it's to small lol!So how do I get them to help me buy a new bike so I can enjoy riding dirtbikes again anything will help and be much appreciated thanks again!!

Looking to get anything but trail bike and 250cc efi fourstroke and maybe a two stroke but most likely no.No financial problems just persuasive problems lol! 

Just now, TheArmageddon Lemon said:

Just do what i did, go out and buy one yourself then bring it home

Yeah but can't access my bank account because they control it but I get where your coming from lol forgiveness is easier for asking for permission. lol funny thing is 10 years back my brother brought home a yz450f had no problem with it but he was 18 as I am 16

1 minute ago, justaskmenicley said:

Try to get them to stop at a dealer with you to talk to one of the sales guys about sizing. Maybe if he sees the difference of you sitting on each bike then he will be able to see.

How do I get him to the dealer he hates everything about it right now as I bug him a lot 

Please go read my other forum as I have a hard time trying to pursaude my dad aka my parents to getting me a bigger dirtbike for motocross or cross country want to get more involved into the sport as I am hooked to it.my parents are super smart as they are sales man and business owners and ceos so talking them to buying something this extreme will be difficult I have a 110 but I out grew it obviously  and I need a 250 preferably yz but anyways any help on how to persuade them to helping me get it would help I have money but not enough I have a job but not $8000 ether and I don't use Craigslist because flordia is not a dirtbike state that much do not many offers and I've tried but doesn't work so anything will help thanks you!! 

5 minutes ago, justaskmenicley said:

Maybe ease off talking about it for about a month and maybe he will come around.

I guess I can give it a try ?

• Like 1

I guess my advice is to prove you are responsible enough to move up. 

As with anything else, entitlement won't get anyone anywhere (not saying you are acting entitled, just making a generalization) so you need to show that you've done your part to earn a new bike.  

With my kids, they like to tell me what they want (always something expensive that they can't earn with their allowance alone) so we work out plans to earn more money by doing more around the house than their normal chores. We set benchmarks that help determine their progress and it has really helped. 

Im not sure how old you are so forgive my old man / dad advice here - but I want my kids to appreciate what they have. By working for something, they show responsibility and drive. Two important keys to success in life. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 3

Also - again I don't know how old you are, so I'm not sure if this is an option but with summer around the corner, a summer job would be great. 

Growing up, I mowed lawns and did yard work for several houses in my neighborhood and paid for most everything I wanted outside of the necessitates of life. I bought my first car with cash a day after my 16th birthday and I earned that $ purely by mowing lawns. 

36 minutes ago, justaskmenicley said:

Try to get them to stop at a dealer with you to talk to one of the sales guys about sizing. Maybe if he sees the difference of you sitting on each bike then he will be able to see.

23 minutes ago, justaskmenicley said:

Maybe ease off talking about it for about a month and maybe he will come around.

Good advice here. 

Go to a dealer alone first. Talk to a sales guy and prep him to talk to your dad. 

Then tell your dad you need a ride to pick up an oil filter and some other random parts. Have him go in with you and magically the bike you want is just before the service department. Stop and just point it out. Hopefully the sales guy stops by and talks some sense into him...

Then go home. Don't talk about it again for a couple weeks. 

Then bring it up again. 

When all else fails - do what my kid did to me "dad, you should get one too so we can spend more time together " tugs at the heart strings. 

• Like 1

Maybe you could propose to work off the cost of the dirt bike. Show your father that you have the incentive to work it off. You could always get another job too..

My family owns a construction company, since I wanted to race MX I came to work with my dad in the summers. He put me on a sidewalk and curb crew. I swung sledge hammer busting out of sidewalks, and I raked concrete, I also work in the underground division and humped brick and block to build sewer structures, and mixed yards of cement by hand. It made me strong and it helped me get in better shape.

You,  "Dad, I'd like to get a bigger dirt bike, would you be willing to help?"

How about that?  Straight up and honest...and start using puncuation.  Be responsible, do well in school, I assume you're still in school?  Help without being asked to help.

As a dad these are the minimum things that need to happen to even start the discussion at our house.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 1

Also, if he is a CEO, he has good financial sense.  Play that part up.  Dad, you see the amount of money we are dumping into this pit bike for repairs?  A lot of that could be saved with a bigger bike since I am too big for the small one, and will continue to destroy it, not out of spite, but because it is not going to hold up to my size.  Suggest a used bike instead of a new.  As others said, ask to work it off.  He also ought to realize that if you work for it, you will take better care of it, due to you valuing it more.  Get good grades, show your parents respect, and be a good kid.  I know several 16 year olds in my neighborhood I'd like to throat punch for the attitudes they portray to us adults.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LRB said:

Good advice here. 

Go to a dealer alone first. Talk to a sales guy and prep him to talk to your dad. 

Then tell your dad you need a ride to pick up an oil filter and some other random parts. Have him go in with you and magically the bike you want is just before the service department. Stop and just point it out. Hopefully the sales guy stops by and talks some sense into him...

Then bring it up again. 

When all else fails - do what my kid did to me "dad, you should get one too so we can spend more time together " tugs at the heart strings. 

This is probably my favorite concept of trying to propose the new bike idea yes I have my own money as I work at a restaurant because my parents are rich but not me because they don't spoil lol but I can buy a used bike I have 2000 just can't find anything good or reasonable for its price around here and I don't want to buy a piece of shit ether but I'll try your idea and let you know how it goes thanks for the idea! And I'm 16 and been working since 14 on the weekends to double shifts in a total of 24 hours so I'll have 3k soon to be able to buy a nice four stroke used efi just got to get my dad to take me to buy it or have someone drive it to me but thanks again!!!!

15 hours ago, LRB said:

Good advice here. 

Then bring it up again. 

I live in Daytona beach 10 minutes from the Daytona 500 the city below so if you don't mind finding a bike or great dealer it would be great and my neighbor owns Daytona fun machines one of the best dealers around my dad just doesn't want to get into the bigger bikes probably because more safety concerns come with a bigger bike with more cc and weight

I can respect the worry of you getting hurt. 

My kids are most valuable possessions and I'd die knowing they were hurt because of something I had control over. But I also realize there's a point that loosening the reigns is appropriate too. 

Good luck!

Work hard at school.  Your father obviously values an education and hard work to have achieved his current position.  He would appreciate seeing those qualities in his son.  Especially work on your English composition skills.  Your posts are poorly written, contain ing numerous run-on sentences, and are improperly punctuated.  Not all sentences need to end in an exclamation point.  Not trying to rag on you, but considering your father's position, he would probably take you more seriously if you could express yourself in a more polished manner.  That's just my perspective.

• Like 1