Going to check out this bike tomorrow- anyone got any advice for me?

So I'm going to check out this bike tomorrow. I'm set on the 250r and I've got a bit of a reserved budget. I'm putting $3000 as what I want to spend tops so of course that puts what I can get into the older models. Keep in mind that I'm riding for fun right now and coming off of a 125 cc trail bike. Anyhow, this one is getting up there in age and the ad doesn't give any info on what kind of work has been done on it either (Rebuilt anything?). I want to go take a look at it tomorrow anyway just for s@$#'s and giggles. What are some good questions to ask when I look at it?

Thanks!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-parts-accessories/edmonton/2005-honda-crf250r-2495/1248807426?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

250's are awesome I'm 15 and I have a 250 and I love it plenty of power. Anyway ask about what he used it for cause if it was raced I would walk away. Good luck with your searching

• Like 1

Ask to see the service records, it looks like a shop. Hopefully they have the valve records, shims used if the valves are not new. Piston, etc.

I love my 250r, there is something about that "red".

• Like 2

lol yeah, I should have put that in the post. It is a shop and they do restorations on motorcycles as well as selling dirtbikes, parts, etc. They have good reviews that I've seen. 

• Like 1

About the Kijiji ad,

that seat foam has been cut down / re-shaped, a consideration if you're 5'8" or taller.

If your main interest is trail riding, skip MX race bikes and look for a CRF250X  (off-road version of the R)

• Like 4

thanks everyone for your replies! I did notice that the seat seemed low in the pictures but I hadn't thought much of it but what you're saying definitely makes sense! I'm 5'7" so I may have a problem with a low/shaved seat. So many things to consider for sure! The shop is actually going to let me know if it sells today- unfortunately there was one more person interested prior to me. I've decided that I won't be doing any trails but I will be on the track that we have here and right now I want to be able to actually physically try a 250 and see the height difference etc from what I've been riding so far. I'm finding a ton of 450's used (way more power than I need right now) but not a lot of the 250's. But there's still time and if it takes longer that'll just increase my savings budget :) 

That's a lot for an 05 model I bought an 06 model about like it a few weeks ago for 2000 but it wasn't from a dealership either but it's an amazing bike man I love it but if I was you I would get an 06 to 09 coming from me because I'm in love with the dual exhaust on mine 20170312_180538.jpg

• Like 2

BTW the bike was dirty in the picture but It has brand new plastic on it and the guy took good care of the bike and even showed me receipts of when he had the entire motor rebuilt in 2015

6 minutes ago, Dylan_Watkins said:

BTW the bike was dirty in the picture but It has brand new plastic on it and the guy took good care of the bike and even showed me receipts of when he had the entire motor rebuilt in 2015

Is it 2017 where you live yet?  2 months on a rebuild that is verifiable is worth some money.   2 years,  not to me,  not to me. 

Is it 2017 where you live yet?  2 months on a rebuild that is verifiable is worth some money.   2 years,  not to me,  not to me. 

Well you do have a point on that I must say but it was never put on a track and the guy I bought it off of was just a guy that putted around on it every once in a while and the bike will start 1st or 2nd kick for me and runs like a brand new bike
  • Like 1

I am sorry Dylan,  I got you confused with the OP,  when you know a bike it can be a lot easier to have confidence in it.   A blind buy is a blind buy without a really good warranty.

Edited by ossagp
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 7:08 PM, TPA-MX said:

Ask to see the service records, it looks like a shop. Hopefully they have the valve records, shims used if the valves are not new. Piston, etc.

I love my 250r, there is something about that "red". emoji6.png

Since they said it was just serviced they may have the results of a compression test.  FYI if  your are going to shop for Hondas,  Yamahas etc,  it would be nice to find some specs out like that to carry with you.    But I am a disciple of the same things that TPA is saying above. 

1 minute ago, Dklassen said:

The first model years (04 & 05) of the CRF250 weren't that reliable. They lacked proper top end lubrication and the valves seats would wear quickly. I would buy something newer.

04 was really the  one to avoid on the lubrication (my crf is a 2004 and I got all the updates on it,  oil rifles and all).  The 2005 came with a different cylinder which was much better than the thin skirted one that the 2004 had.   I don't think any of the 04 to 09's were really any better on valves,  as Honda seems to have stuck to the same valve and seat materials.   1k gets you a really well done head that will last a very long time,  which thinking back is a pretty high price to pay to ride a certain brand.   

Keeping in mind Jen is in Canada,

if comparable to my region, 3000$ gets you an older 250F in questionable condition that could easily require another 1000$ to make it reliable.

At 4000$ invested, you are better off buying a newer bike to begin with.

Jen, I think we've discussed it in one of your previous threads, what type of riding do you intend to do?

you mention "coming from a 125cc trail bike"  (likely a small 4-stroke like a CRF or TTR type bike) 

If you mostly intend to trail ride with the very occasional recreational MX track ride, an off-road oriented bike is perhaps a better consideration.

Older CRF250X, WR250F etc. despite still requiring regular maintenance are less likely to have been run at high rpms and constantly pushed to their limits versus MX race bikes.

Last spring $2800 CAD go me a decent shape & very well equipped CRF250X,

over a year I easily spent another $1000 bringing it up to my standards, 

but honestly 250$ would have been sufficient to cover the required little TLC it needed. (linkage bearings, fork seals etc.)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Any used MX 4 stroke is a ticking time bomb. Either save and get new or just get a two stroke. Or be ready to deal with the costs of rebuilding the entire motor. IMO if you're really set on a 4 stroke you should buy a new one or one from a friend you know has looked after it very well.