CR250 dumping coolant

My 87 cr250 is dumping coolant out of the overflow/overheating tube by the radiator cap.

I start it up cold and within 30 seconds it dumps a lot of coolant. I tried putting a different cap to see if it just wasn't sealing but that didn't help.

The only thing I've done to it recently is take off the right side cover to replace the kickstart gear.

It has had a steady coolant leak out of the weep hole by the water pump impeller that I will be fixing with a new seal.  But I just wanted to find out what is going on with the overheating(?) or dumping coolant issue.

Any suggestions??  Thanks!

If I was to take a guess I would say that it's either the seal or there is a chance that the impeller isn't spinning. If you take off the radiator cap and start it you should be able to see the coolant circulating.

29 minutes ago, rickyhonda150 said:

If I was to take a guess I would say that it's either the seal or there is a chance that the impeller isn't spinning. If you take off the radiator cap and start it you should be able to see the coolant circulating.

Thanks for the response.  I took the radiator cap off and the fluid is splashing around a lot so I'm assuming the impeller is spinning.

When I started it up from cold again, it starts coming out the overflow tube by the radiator cap after 20 seconds.  I felt the fluid and it was very cold.

If its coming out of your overflow tube and its still cold there is something wrong with the seal. try getting a brand new one. 

• Like 1

Sounds like pressure back in system maybe =head gasket leaking.You need new pump seal definitely.  Maybe any bearing that impeller shaft goes threw also :thumbsup: