Securing bike question. With pix

Seeing if I can use this method on my 450 of securing to in the back of my truck

I will not be using the front wheel mount in my truck***.  Only used as a test anchor point for pictures and compression.

The ratchet strap ends will be attached to the inside of my truck bed.  The other end to the blue strap -they will pull down at more if a 45 degree anger, not the 5-10 degree straight down in the pictures 

so, where i have my blue straps, will that damage the forks, frame or suspension in any way?

i have too many cables running on and around my handle bar to strap it down from up there. 

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

That how I strap my bike as well, but as you've mentioned more at an angle so that the hook doesn't rub on the tube.

IMO much more secure than hooking on the handlebars and, makes for shorter required straps length.

I'd also suggest not relying on a hook in such manner, if for whatever reason the strap momentarily looses tension (bumpy road) it can unhook itself.

It happened to me once...never again as I've cut off all the hooks from my ratchet straps and replaced them with carabiner style clips.

Perhaps not practical to mount it in a pickup truck's bed but I also have that type of wheel lock bolted in my trailer's floor,

handy for loading the bike when tired at the end of the day, holds upright by itself while tightening straps.

Edited by mlatour

It happened to me once...never again as I've cut off all the hooks from my ratchet straps and replaced them with carabiner style clips.

Why not just put the carabiner through closed loop on the hook so you can still use it as just a hook if needed?

Not quite sure what you're describing (getting late here!)

but after cutting off the hook, the carabiner just clips into place / feeds thru the strap's loop (no re-sewing required)

Need more of an angle, if you have straps straight up and down like that the bike will still want to tip over.