Clutch not fully engaging right after I start the bike

Both my KTM's will engage the gearing and try to spin the rear wheel even when the clutch is in...only when the bike is cold. This happens to the extreme that the bike lurches forward and stalls out. The concerning part is that my brother's 2013 KX 450F doesn't have this problem but even the 2017 KTM SX-F I bought last weekend does.

Do I need to be worried about my new KTM bike?

No it's just drag from cold oil , if you wait a few minutes does it still do it?

I didn't think the tranny would warm from just sitting via idle. The gears aren't moving. But you most likely know more than me so I will give that a go. Thanks for the quick reply!

This is normal, This has happened to all my KTMS since i first starting riding, the hydolic oil in the clutch is very cold and putting it in gear while it's cold is gonna make the bike stall every time. 

Here's a tip, When your bike is cold and you want to go just give the bike a quick rev while putting it in gear and that will allow it to get into the gear without stalling. Works every single time. Even my new 16 450 has that problem, it's just what KTM's do 

Now if that doesn't work you can try bleeding your clutch as air in the line can cause it to lerch forward while in gear. 

Hope this helped 

• Like 2

My 15 ktm250sxf does the same thing. I made a similar post with no luck. I tried bleeding the clutch and it helped a little but the problem still occurs. I hold the throttle open a little and put it in gear and that seems to be the only way. But when I ride my bike for a little the problem goes away. But this is definitely an issue as I've seen my friends bikes and videos where their ktm does not have this issue.

Just now, Dirtshark808 said:

My 15 ktm250sxf does the same thing. I made a similar post with no luck. I tried bleeding the clutch and it helped a little but the problem still occurs. I hold the throttle open a little and put it in gear and that seems to be the only way. But when I ride my bike for a little the problem goes away. But this is definitely an issue as I've seen my friends bikes and videos where their ktm does not have this issue.

I don't know if i'd call this an issue to say, it doesn't happen with the jap bikes because they use a cable and that has a perfect pull (until it wears out like they always do) the oil in the KTM clutches gets cold and is thick, When you take a cold bike that' what happens to them, warm it up and the oil can move a lot faster and put more pressure on that rod to lift it, Just blip it and put it in gear and you're good to go. 

I,m surprised that nobody suggested thinner oil in the engine or even a different brand.

I,m surprised that nobody suggested thinner oil in the engine or even a different brand.

I tried that with no luck. But I do think this is an issue as you should be able to pull the clutch in cold or not and put it in gear. It frustrates me when my bike is cold and I spent a long time trying different solutions with no luck.

My 14' 450xcw does the same thing, I just fire it up and let it idle for a few minutes while im getting geared up and then it works fine.

30 minutes ago, Dirtshark808 said:

I tried that with no luck. But I do think this is an issue as you should be able to pull the clutch in cold or not and put it in gear. It frustrates me when my bike is cold and I spent a long time trying different solutions with no luck.

But it's not an issue.......? 

Try pumping the clutch while you're warming the the bike up. I usually shift into second the first time, then back to first. Usually works, after that no problems.

• Like 1