About to buy a '17 YZ250x

Hey guys, I am about to buy my first brand new dirt bike.  Looks like my 09 YZ-250F I picked up for a steal 4 years ago is about to sell, and there is a new 250x at my local dealer in a crate waiting for me.  We are still having blizzards and probably over 15ft of snow so it will be a bit of time yet before I can ride it.  I am just curious as to if there is anything that would be useful to have when I first get the bike?  (jet kit/heavier springs/guards/etc)  Or common mods to help the bike in any way.  I am 230-240lbs bodyweight and intend to use the bike for a bit of everything.  Mainly enduro/single track type stuff but we also have a private sand mx track built on our land.  Elevation is sea level to a max of 2600 odd ft.  

I plan on ordering some handguards soon, hoping my aluminum skid plate from my YZ250F can fit (even if I have to mod a little), hour meter and perhaps one of those Rox risers that move it ahead an inch and up a 1/4".  I'm 6ft2 but have forced myself to use a stock YZ bar setup for track, but as I ride enduro more I find I am standing much more. I plan to eventually get a RK TEK head and a fmf pipe setup of some sort, but to start I would like to ride the bike stock power-wise just to see how it is. 

Looked at a new KTM 300 (who hasn't) as I have a 690 SMC Supermoto that I love but with close to $4000 in the price difference for myself personally, I am opting for the Yamaha.. I just hope I don't regret it when I get out with our group making some single tracks (2 x 300 xc-w's and 1 x 300 xc for orange bikes)

You will need springs at your weight.

I am 6'3" and find the YZ to be very comfortable. The guy I bought it from was much shorter than me and all I did at  first was rotate the bars forward and I was fine. I have since added a tall seat and raised the bars (only so I could run a Scotts damper). 

You will do just fine against the orange bikes.

52 minutes ago, Woodzi said:

You will need springs at your weight.

I am 6'3" and find the YZ to be very comfortable. The guy I bought it from was much shorter than me and all I did at  first was rotate the bars forward and I was fine. I have since added a tall seat and raised the bars (only so I could run a Scotts damper). 

You will do just fine against the orange bikes.

Any recommendation for springs?

There seems to be a lot of variation in the recommended spring rates for the rear. I am 195 and I am running a 5.4. MX-Tech says I should be at 5.0 - others are running even stiffer. I am getting the correct static sag with the 5.4. I was way off with the stock 4.8. 

I am running .44 fork springs. At 230, you probably need at least .46 and maybe .48's. I would stay on the softer side for woods riding. 

I just picked up my new 2016 YZX yesterday and got some seat time for a few hours. As Woodzi said, you will need springs for your weight.

As far as jetting, currently where I live, the temps are in the 60-80 degree range, and we are ~300 feet above sea level. The way my bike came jetted was pretty close. After I break it in (I have a little more oil that usual in the gas as per break-in), I might experiment a little. However, there was no stumbling or hesitation with the throttle and almost no spooge. The kit should come with a couple extra main and pilot jets. Mine started on the first kick almost every time!

Just make sure you check everything before your first ride. I found 4 loose bolts on mine.

I checked:

• bolts & fasteners
  • all fluid levels (tranny, cooling, brakes, fuel)
  • air filter for proper oil and sealing
  • tire pressure
  • cables
  • adjusted levers & pedals for correct ergo setting
  • I also had to adjust the idle, it was set very low (it would hardly idle).

I also plan to pull the fork tubes up in the clamps a little (they are flush now) to help steering a little.

Other than a few protection items, I don't plan on doing anything else to mine. It runs well, and the suspension is fine.

You are going to enjoy your new ride!

22 minutes ago, Woodzi said:

There seems to be a lot of variation in the recommended spring rates for the rear. I am 195 and I am running a 5.4. MX-Tech says I should be at 5.0 - others are running even stiffer. I am getting the correct static sag with the 5.4. I was way off with the stock 4.8. 

I am running .44 fork springs. At 230, you probably need at least .46 and maybe .48's. I would stay on the softer side for woods riding. 

Racetech's spring calculator put me at .497 and 6.0 but that would be on the stiff side I would think.. then again I am heavier than I like to think I am :rolleyes:

• Like 1

About .48 fork springs and a 5.4 shock should get you about what you need. You might need to go to 5.6 on the shock.

I think they YZ250X is pretty close to perfect out of the box. I highly recommend riding it before you do to much of anything to it, other than maybe hand guards and a skid plate.

Be your own judge from there. I personally don't think they need anything else, other than a little head work. YAMAHA did an outstanding job putting this package together.

Edited by 218
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 218 said:

About .48 fork springs and a 5.4 shock should get you what you need.

I think they YZ250X is pretty close to perfect out of the box. I highly recommend riding it before you do to much of anything to it, other than maybe hand guards and a skid plate.

Be your own judge from there. I personally don't think they need anything else, other than a little head work. YAMAHA did an outstanding putting this package together.

That is good to know, I was a little worried seeing as the bike is essentially a 10 year old design vs KTM's constantly evolving bike.  That new FI has me interested but I would never buy it first year anyway.. will be interesting to see if Yamaha will bring over their technology from their outboards to their 2T line.  

I read the RK TEK head does wonders, so I think that is higher up on the list than the exhaust is.  I don't see any negatives that could come from it, but that wouldn't be until I have some seat time on the bike anyway.  

All this talk about 250X bikes Vrs pumpkins. I don't care who I ride with and what they ride. Let the games begin on any bike. The blue line up is good, damn good! Why change every year when you have a good run? Yes, Yamaha could change a few in geometry to make them turn better, but that's about it. Electric start is nice, but is it necessary? No, I'll pass for now. Lighting is about the only thing I wished the 2 strokes had.   

Enjoy that X.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NLRichyJ said:

Racetech's spring calculator put me at .497 and 6.0 but that would be on the stiff side I would think.. then again I am heavier than I like to think I am :rolleyes:

If I recall, Racetech's recommendations were stiffer than most. 

29 minutes ago, Gary YZDOC said:

Lighting is about the only thing I wished the 2 strokes had.   

Enjoy that X.

I have done plenty of snowmobiling under the lights, but for us in the Great White North, most of our dirt biking is in the summer when it stays light until at least 9 even way down here in "Southern" Ontario.

I can see why you might want lights in California. 

• Like 1

I think more like Gary on the YZ's. KTM keeps changing, but have they built anything any better?

They spent about 15 of the last 18 years just trying to build a bike as good as the YZ. Most of the changes where just simply making more like a YZ. They've spent the last few years unsuccessfully trying to better it.  

Now, in a panic, they're going to through fuel injection at it, in a design I first saw several years ago on a YZ, that was built in a barn.

Obviously, I'm not impressed with their changes over the years. If they don't really net any advancement or improvement, then why bother?

Just trying to move more bikes to the easily impressed, I guess?   

• Like 1

Can't say your'e wrong there, but some smaller features I do like more on the KTM as well like the natural stock tank (and its size) but that is also things one can change on the YZ and still be on top price wise.  E-start and lights would be nice but it is not a deal-breaker.  

Speaking of lights, anyone try the frankensled lights?  I use one for snowmobiling and it will be certainly useful on bike.  Takes up very little space, INSANELY bright for what it is, and goes into a gopro mount.  Here is a picture from the other night when I rode some trees using the light in pitch black on my sled.  Of course it does not do it justice especially since I aimed it at the sled but you get the idea.

17157556_10154482430577951_2496040318119942287_o.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 218 said:

I think more like Gary on the YZ's. KTM keeps changing, but have they built anything any better?

They spent about 15 of the last 18 years just trying to build a bike as good as the YZ. Most of the changes where just simply making more like a YZ. They've spent the last few years unsuccessfully trying to better it.  

Now, in a panic, they're going to through fuel injection at it, in a design I first saw several years ago on a YZ, that was built in a barn.

Obviously, I'm not impressed with their changes over the years. If they don't really net any advancement or improvement, then why bother?

Just trying to move more bikes to the easily impressed, I guess?   

Yep, and the price tag is like WHY? 

Reminds me of when my kids were growing up. We didn't have money coming out our butts like some of their friends, but our bikes ran great, and they had good enough protective gear to keep them safe.  So when it came to thier friends having the latest and greates tennis shoes, skate boards, bicycles, gear, and dirt bikes, my boys just simply out performed their buddies with the expensive crap.

Remember, value is not a price tag, it's how you can do anything with whatever you have. 

Ok, enough rabbit holing. 

I want an X for my next 2T, and I rode a 14-WR450. I loved that EFI.

Peace, 

Gary 

• Like 3

I think I would be prepared to hear a lot of self reassuring talk from your own "pumpkin patch" of riders. It seems when people outspend you and then find out your rig works as well as theirs they get defensive.  The very well kept old 2002 yz 250 I have was sold to me because it's owner wanted a ktm.   I think he wishes he still had the yamaha and his money.  Recently my son and I took a guided ride over on Maui.  They had ktms' that were 12 years  younger than my yamaha.   All I can say is those Austrians didn't get much done in 12 years.  Mind you,  I tune my engines and I do my best to tune the suspensions,  and their bikes that you rent are unloved,   but crisp enough running.    If I had the forks that are coming on the latest yamahas I wouldn't look twice at ANYTHING coming from the Euros'.  

All that said,  I liked the KTMs'  just fine.   They are good for sure.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not saying KTM's are bad bikes, but just they aren't the "technologically modern marvels" that many go on about. All the changes and "innovation" over the years hasn't made them any better than the YZ.

DIRTBIKE magazine even rated the YZX better than the XC last year.

Hell, the difference in suspension alone makes the YZX about another $2000.00 better buy, IMO. Add that to the $3500.00 OTD price difference and I'll gladly buy that old out dated YZX and put a bigger tank on it. That's a lot easier than fixing jacked up suspension.

• Like 2

About .48 fork springs and a 5.4 shock should get you about what you need. You might need to go to 5.6 on the shock.

Be your own judge from there. I personally don't think they need anything else, other than a little head work. YAMAHA did an outstanding job putting this package together.

The rear spring isn't close. Try getting that spring to around 105 race sag and the spring would have so much pre-load it would be harsh the first part of the stroke. No way you could get the static sag between 25 to 40.

Yamaha 4T line up come with a 5.6 stock. At his weight he would be close to a 6.0 to 6.2 rear spring. Go to Race tech and put in your numbers to get you close. It was confirmed with me that the stock spring in the 250x is made for around 150 pound rider which is odd to me because their 4T bikes are for 180 pound rider. With all my gear on I weight 195 and I run a 5.6 spring. My static sag is about perfect at 28mm.

1 hour ago, woodsracer771 said:

Call up Factory connection for your springs, you'll never need springs again. They will probably swap your springs for free later down the road, if you increase in speed or any other variable

Worth knowing.