2017 Xtrainer spark arrestor differences

Too funny.  They are all the same silencer, but both websites linked above have them described incorrectly in the description.  The correct silencer is FMF's "The Q", which is FMF part #025173 and Beta part #AB-10261 and is the same silencer part numbers in both links above.  Beta's website incorrectly calls it a Turbinecore 2 and Dennis Kirs website incorrectly calls it a Q4, which is a 4-stroke muffler.

To verify I just looked at the FMF packaging mine came in (which I'm currently using to store the factory silencer I removed when I bought the bike.).  That packaging has both part numbers on it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wwguy said:

Too funny.  They are all the same silencer, but both websites linked above have them described incorrectly in the description.  The correct silencer is FMF's "The Q", which is FMF part #025173 and Beta part #AB-10261 and is the same silencer part numbers in both links above.  Beta 's website incorrectly calls it a Turbinecore 2 and Dennis Kirs website incorrectly calls it a Q4, which is a 4-stroke muffler.

To verify I just looked at the FMF packaging mine came in (which I'm currently using to store the factory silencer I removed when I bought the bike.).  That packaging has both part numbers on it. 

So, they are both the "short" version? Do you know how loud they are compared to stock? I am planning a trip out to Idaho with my sons this summer and want to be compliant and quiet.  Thanks.

Edited by D.C.XR250

21 minutes ago, D.C.XR250 said:

So, they are both the "short" version? Do you know how loud they are compared to stock? I am planning a trip out to Idaho with my sons this summer and want to be compliant and quiet.  Thanks.

I only ran the bike for about 5 minutes at the dealer with the stock silencer before installing The Q.  I can't remember what it sounded like, but I do know that the stock pipe is also made by FMF for Beta.

FMF's website listing for The Q claims that "This U.S. Forest legal spark arrestor will meet the mandated 96dB sound level set by the US Forest Service making it the quietest 2-stroke performance spark arrestor made!"  I live and ride in Idaho.  I can say with confidence that you will have no problems with that pipe here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D.C.XR250 said:

Mine just came in the mail today (FMF Part# 025173).  It's about 2 inches longer than the stock FMF pipe.  I too only heard the bike run w/ stock pipe for about 5 minutes, but honestly it doesn't sound any different to me at idle and w/ a few revs here and there.  Can't speak for WOT or anywhere in between.

20170324_124832 (2).jpg

11 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

You can add a SA to the stock pipe....just remove the end cap and stinger, and install the FMF SA insert.

No, you can't.  The SA inserts have screens at the exhaust ports and are for the 4-stroke silencers only.

From FMF's FAQ:

Q: Can I add a Spark Arrestor to my existing 2-Stroke silencer?

A: This is a common question we get here at FMF Racing. You cannot add a spark arrestor screen to any existing 2-stroke silencer. The reason for this is because all of our 2-Stroke silencers that have spark arrestors, are built into the actual core as a "Turbine Dampening System" that is welded to the core and is U.S. Forestry Approved.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wwguy said:

No, you can't.  The SA inserts have screens at the exhaust ports and are for the 4-stroke silencers only.

From FMF's FAQ:

A: This is a common question we get here at FMF Racing. You cannot add a spark arrestor screen to any existing 2-stroke silencer. The reason for this is because all of our 2-Stroke silencers that have spark arrestors, are built into the actual core as a "Turbine Dampening System" that is welded to the core and is U.S. Forestry Approved.

Thank you. I have read this as well.

9 hours ago, wwguy said:

From FMF's FAQ:

....but yes you can. Always have been able to.

Other than installing the 4 stroke screen ( bad idea ) love it if anyone can show the 2T  spark arrestors core that can be sourced . FMF does not show it , probably as Beta and Gasagas have been coming with their non sparkys for years