79 yz250 where to send for rebuild

Hey guys, I've had a 79 YZ250 for a few years now and I'd like to find somebody to have engine rebuilt. Any recommendations?

You have an easy motor to rebuild why not try it yourself. Good learning experience and would save you some money. Do you need a full rebuild or just a top end. Do you have a budget.  Figure  $250 for a top end and bore and $300 for a crank rebuild and bearings.  If it need other parts that are worn things can really start adding up. That is for parts labor could be $250-400 depending on the work needed. Ask this question in the regional section where you live and try to find a good recommend local mechanic. There are national guys that can do it but you will be paying for shipping both ways.

• Like 1

Yes, OP will have to answer the question "just top end or more?".  If it's just top end, anyone with some mechanical ability could do it.  A manual helps with details if you're unsure of yourself.  Any shop that does motorsports engines could do a bore job to match to a new piston you already bought.  Take it to them to inspect and measure to make sure you buy the correct size needed. If the bottom end (crank and main bearings) need work it gets a little more complicated.  They you SHOULD get a manual but it's not that hard.  Besides, if you have questions, you could always ask on TT!

Thanks for the replies. Here's my deal, engine will need a complete rebuild. I bought a NOS cylinder at a swap meet. I have average mechanical skills however, I'm currently working 6 12 hour shifts a week and really just don't have any time. I've had the bike for a few years now and I would love to just get it running .

OK, so by that I gather that is an untouched cylinder.  I would do these things if I were you - Buy a standard size piston & rings, that by your description of the cylinder, should fit perfectly. You will save some money if you buy vs. having a shop buy them.  Then, go to the regional area of TT (Maryland) and ask some riders in that forum what shop would be the best to bring your project to.  Some shops are pretty competent in doing those old bikes, some are not.  Really for them to do the top end with the parts you provide, there would only be labor and a couple of gaskets.  I think that's a good solution, given your time limitations.

Sorry for the lack of info . I'm at work. Lol.
I'll try the MD region . That seems​ like a good idea. Thanks for your help​.

I do them top and bottom for 200 laybor. If have all parts they done by next day. Idk where you are but I'm sure you can find someone or try it yourself maybe.  That is easy one just use #3 Phillips in impact on case bolts I recommend.  To loosen 

• Like 1